Ever had an identity crisis!?

- ask away
tommy_fretwell
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Ever had an identity crisis!?

Post by tommy_fretwell »

I have had one of late and it lasted for a while!

I got caught up in wanting to please the majority. Playing and producing driving club tunes all night long, tunes verging on the commercial side. Not commercial as in MTV, but the typical tech house format that DJ after DJ bangs out. This mainly fuelled by a Mrs and friends who love the more mainstream sound and the constant 'you gotta play what the mass wants to here'. Hearing this that much made me believe.

Trying to take this 'mainstream' road hindered me. I progressed nowhere, fucking about with productions and playing around with mixes to send out for gigs. Subconciously I didn't want it so I eventually got nothing done. I didnt have a clue what I wanted out of all this. Whilst this was happening I couldnt move foward.

Anyway, luckily over the past few days I have snapped out of it and realised what I wanted. I fell in love with music by the likes of Luciano. His sets were more of a concept than anything. This was my first love. The deeper side of things, unsung artists, sets that weren't just about the club. You get me!?

I feel like a weight is off my shoulders now. I feel now I have resolved what I wanted I can move on. I'm gona put together my first mix, place it on here (in hope of some feedback) and send it out to promoters etc. I now also feel comfortable in working on the productions I want, the music I like.

So to conclude, I have fucked the majority off, I'm sick of trying to please these people. If I cant do the stuff I wana do...I dont think I even wana do it full stop!

Do I make sense, can people empathise with my situation!? Would like to here from anyone else that has suffered a similar situation!?
fl0w
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fl0w »

And the cycle will repeat again, and again :)

It's perfectly normal to try different things, and most of them don't work. You change, your environment changes. Eventually you'll be bored with minimal and Luciano and will eagerly look for something else.

You can be proud because now you're doing things for yourself and with passion!
:.: : :: : :.: .:. :.
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

fl0w wrote:And the cycle will repeat again, and again :)

It's perfectly normal to try different things, and most of them don't work. You change, your environment changes. Eventually you'll be bored with minimal and Luciano and will eagerly look for something else.

You can be proud because now you're doing things for yourself and with passion!
Exactly, it's more then likely that you're in whole different direction in 5 years, maybe not, but I think you will.. And it's all good, it keeps you sane.
You should never EVER play music to satisfy other people. You should do it only for yourself, nobody else. You see what happens. And where you happy? No..
Maybe you can't get any gigs by doing it your own way, maybe you can. At least you have fun doing it.
Sonny-
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Sonny- »

exploring every genre to the fullest made me stick with 2 genres i'm surei 'll never get tired off...

exploring every scene & listening to very different things can work as an inspiration as to a definite road you like to follow musically spoken