Contakt @ Sonar

- open
mattburns
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Contakt @ Sonar

Post by mattburns »

From the Sonar website

Contakt is a live performance concept which has nothing to do with anything you have ever seen. Instead of a DJ session, or a live show, or a series of sets or live shows, Contakt will be a real electronic jam channelled by Richie Hawtin himself, and in which the Minus artists who have come to Sónar for this occasion: Magda, Troy Pierce, Marc Houle, Gaiser and Heartthrob will be simultaneously participating. In other words, there will be no schedules, or slots, or a fixed musical arrangement. Richie Hawtin will be conducting the performance from beginning to end and the other artists, whether using their own music or that of others, will be sending their sound to Hawtin’s control panel, where the final format of the set will take shape. Around six uninterrupted hours of techno madness and futuristic improvisation.

sounds interesting. i didnt realise they were doing anything like this i just thought it was a series of parties to commemorate 10 years of M_Nus. i wasnt gonna bother with the friday night @ Sonar and head to the Raum open air night but i'm intrigued to see how this will work
m jaco
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by m jaco »

went to the contakt in Detroit, wasnt fully like that but during Gaiser's set Richie was on his mixer mixing loops and things over Gaiser's PA
mattburns
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mattburns »

i had forgotten about the narod nikki thing they did last year at sonar too. is it the same concept? does it translate well to the dancefloor?
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Contakt @ Sonar

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

mattburns wrote:From the Sonar website

Contakt is a live performance concept which has nothing to do with anything you have ever seen. Instead of a DJ session, or a live show, or a series of sets or live shows, Contakt will be a real electronic jam channelled by Richie Hawtin himself, and in which the Minus artists who have come to Sónar for this occasion: Magda, Troy Pierce, Marc Houle, Gaiser and Heartthrob will be simultaneously participating. In other words, there will be no schedules, or slots, or a fixed musical arrangement. Richie Hawtin will be conducting the performance from beginning to end and the other artists, whether using their own music or that of others, will be sending their sound to Hawtin’s control panel, where the final format of the set will take shape. Around six uninterrupted hours of techno madness and futuristic improvisation.

sounds interesting. i didnt realise they were doing anything like this i just thought it was a series of parties to commemorate 10 years of M_Nus. i wasnt gonna bother with the friday night @ Sonar and head to the Raum open air night but i'm intrigued to see how this will work
read: 6 hour tag team set. detroit party SUCKED!
miroslav
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miroslav »

"sucked" is rather harsh, but that's just my opinion... I actually enjoyed Gaiser and Richie mashing it up at the end.

but it didn't strike me as anything particularly special or unique as far as these kinds of DJ gigs go. if there was some "special collaboration" going on throughout the event, it was lost on me. but maybe that's because I didn't pay for the membership :)
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

money parties vs. vibe energy parties..

you can always tell the difference..

at least things are (trying)

to get back to

- fun
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

Practice makes perfect.

If they practice, with the same ethics a serious band does, they should deconstipate things a bit... break some molds...

Whether it's good now or not... I just hope they keep it up and refine their thing and mostly fck things up a bit and set new standards... 'cause now sh!t is fucking overrated as fck.
Del
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Del »

I must admit im pretty sceptical about the whole concept. For starters Richie by himself has been very uninspiring of late. Music wise and the way he presents it. I can’t see how the additions of Gaiser, Magda, Houle etc is going to enhance the experience for me personally. I’ll be checking them out at Sonar and hopefully im proven wrong and I’m blown away musically like I have in the past by Hawtin. Give me one DJ with 2 turntables and a mixer any day though and that’s good enough for me… I’ll pass on the cube thank you very much.