An interesting Challenge

- ask away
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

An interesting Challenge

Post by AVX23 »

I don't perhaps hear it so much here, but I certainly have in other places, but you often in more underground scenes here people saying - ohhh listen to that commercial rubbish, it's all presets and total fodder (I've said it myself I must admit).

Many times recently - I've (perhaps cos I'm older) thought with a more balanced heaqd, well wait a minute - If it's so easy, and if this is total braindead rubbish, then why not test myself to see If I can do it myself.

So I thought - that might be a fun challenge to lay down , to see who can actually produce a really mainstream dance track out of the more underground artists or producers if it's so flippin easy !!!

Don't take me too seriously on this - It's just a bit of fun for if you have time, It shouldn't be seen as me calling people out or anything silly like that.

But yeah - just a bit of simple fun, If anyone has any contribution - feel free to post little clips or whatnot, I'm planning on having a mess about with this idea over the next few weeks simply to test my sound design and see if I can apply it to a more commercial project - I'll post anything I come up with for a laugh - It might not be any good, in which case - I'll have learned - it's not as easy as it seems !
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

Mainstream people are doing what they are doing out of love. They love the music they make too you know, so i guess it's not easy at all to come up with a super mainstream track if you are totally agains mainstream music. You just have to do what you like, what sounds good to you and build confidence in your sound.

This project of yours sounds fun and i have made some attempts at mainstream tracks but i think i have failed miserably in them :D

Anyway here are two tracks i made mainstreamish (electronic that is) :D
None the less it was fun making these track and i adore them.
But yeah what i adore might be sh!t to others lol.

Cats & Whiskers:
http://www.divshare.com/download/4626800-da9

Gates Of Karash:
http://www.divshare.com/download/4626820-124

I wanted this to be kinda Deadmou5e & Radioslave ish but i failed here, couldn't make it that way. It just didn't work out, but im still happy with the results :D
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

haha - nice :) I really like that Catz whiskers one, it's kinda like a less in your face 'heater' (which I can't stand, but my mum pulled me up for not liking it by saying - look at all those people having fun dancing around to it, how can you say that's bad (It was on the beach in Spain) I don't argue with my mum about these things - she knows best.

Good work, this is decent, nicely produced, can't see surgeon playing it mind, but I can see this sort of thing doing quite well elsewhere.

thanks for sharing dude :)
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

i have to admit that sometime i play heater in the clubs :oops: im what the people call a sell out (in a way) but i dont really care, heater works pretty well in clubs. :)

Don't you have any mainstream attempts of yours that you're willing to share? Cmon man, post em! :D
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

well - I wouldn't be ashamed of that, Like I say - it's not my taste, but I can see why people love it :)

I really can honestly say I haven't got anything commercial I can share, I'm having a look on my HDD for older stuff which might be a bit more mainstream orientated but so far nothing.

If you have a look here tho :

http://www.myspace.com/avionixrecordings

and check the track 'x-vector' It's about as commercial as it gets, I can't even say it's commercially orientated, because I wrote it then it's sat on that player for almost a year without me doing anything with it, so very few people have even heard it.

The reason I say it's commercial is because it has a fairly obvious melody when it kicks in and there's some pretty contrived breakdowns etc. I made it after playing with some of the guys from gigilo and it got me in the mood for something a little less introverted than my usual styles.

But yeah - to me it's a little 'cheesy' probably others would disagree, I dunno.

I will share anything further I come up with tho that's for sure, I tried some stuff this afternoon , but I've just had to get my ass into gear and work on some more anally retentive stuff for some live shows I'm doing.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

Wow nice stuff on your myspace player man! Espec that Molecular dub !
X vector doesnt sound very cheesy at all to me, i like that, sounds funky, groovy.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

you bad man.
never buy a sombrero on La Ramblas, theyre much cheaper down the side alleys.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

@ New Guy - thanks, yes, I dunno, I just think it's a bit cheesey because It's fairly contrived, but perhaps I just think about things too much.

@ Steevio, never knock a straw donkey ;)