how do YOU make your drum loops

- ask away
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

how do YOU make your drum loops

Post by Opuswerk »

Hello fellow mnmlers,

Recently i've been fiddling a lot with synths to refine my skills of sound design. Still have to get my head around fm synthesis though. But i'll leave this for later. However as much as doing this led me to get those nice deep synth sounds i was looking for for a while, I realize now that what is lacking in my production are minmal drums. That is those glitchy little sounds people like dachshund and deadbeat build and EC50 for the producers from here. Check out their latest track, and you'l see what i'm about.

Coming from a dnb background, i'm used to doing drums using funk breaks. So I know about groove and how to keep the funk out of breaks. I do however find very difficult to build drum loops from so many different sounds at once.

Could you please share some tips as to how you build your drum loops. What is your workflow? where do you look for those odd samples? Do you only use 909 or 707 kits and mangle those (steevio?) ? ANy of you using the session view in Live to get several different patterns going on in a random order?

bref, share tips.

Looking forward to your answers !
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

If you want a clicky sound, just use a short decay and fast attack....

I have most success re-sampling synthesized drums..... usually from predator or attack...

Im more into housey drums though...

One thing i would say is dont underestimate the effects of effects, take a kick for instance, you can make the lamest 909 kick sound into a monster with the correct use of processing, its amazing really...
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i like getting found sound with my mini disc recorder for glitchy sounds
andei
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by andei »

i don't have much experience (been producing for less than a year) but what i do mostly is combine some samples (either from free websites, or from samples collections -the soniccouture Abstrakt Konkrete is REALLY good- with Fx processing (either the live FX, some free vst, or some Ohm Force plug) and synthesis (operator). In some particular cases i record stuff with my mic.
all the same i feel i spend/waste TOO much time on my drums.

i'd like to come up with some faster workflow cause it ends up sucking the spontaneity/creativity.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

try delay with very fast time and long feedback, noise gate, ring mod.
try these also:
http://illformed.org/blog/glitch/
http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/ ---buffer override/transverb.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

will be trying some of these tools today.

Although I must say i'm not looking after glitchy type of sounds, maybe i wrote in wrong in my first post. But more at those uber complex drum kits people build in their tracks. Putting together sounds that have nothing to do together.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i just make all my drum sounds in synthesizers from scratch, and fck the sounds up with analogue filters, especially sherman filter bank2 (its the ultimate click machine).
i only use drum machines for kicks and odd bits of percussion. the 909 snare is awesome for house, but you have to filter it heavily for techy sounds.
i dont really write drum loops, i write holistically, morphing sounds from one thing into another, like percussion into bass, stabs into clicky hats etc.
some of my tunes have only got one actual sound in them, and its doing everything (except kick)
for me the secret of techno is fck IT UP !!!
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

sidechained gate:

have a rhythm pattern / break loop or whatever sidechained into a noise gate which has a pad/synth/foundsound running through it. mute the sidechain input so that it can no longer be heard but is still affecting the pad/synth/foundsound. play with the attack and release on the noise gate. you will surprise yourself with the results.

easier alternative with slightly different result:

download free plug-in called Stormgate.

Deadbeat, who you mentioned in the original post, you can hear a lot of this technique in his sound.