[mnml] music and fashion - how much do they belong together?

- open
Castronova
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

[mnml] music and fashion - how much do they belong together?

Post by Castronova »

A continuation of this topic which got hijacked by the deep v-neck.

So how much do music and fashion belong together? Specifically mnml? Is there a fashion to go alongside mnml music?

I can't really think of many genres of music that haven't had their own "look" to accompany them. Sometimes the look is more important and cohesive than the music itself -- "new rave" is a recent example. Is there a point where the visual clothing styles enhance or hurt the music, or does it not matter at all?
Michael^Heaven
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re:

Post by Michael^Heaven »

Music & fashion definitely go hand & hand, so to speak. Especially in the electronic community. I can't tell you how many times that fashion trends start out in edm clubs & then hit main stream Hollywood sometimes years later. Only to be coined the latest fashion statement by some rag publication that was worn by some douchebag actor/actress at some blah party.
"So knives out
Cook him up
Squash his head
Put him in the pot "-jz
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

they have no business with it each other, but sadly there will always be people on the fringes with a point to prove about themselves.
Rich
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rich »

That depends on what excites you. Is it the music which you love, or the idea of dressing up in a certain way, and belonging to a particular group?
Myself I just wear t-shirt and jeans. I don't really give a f*ck personally.
I saw a comment somebody put on another forum recently, which I think is quite apt:

I'm so sick of minimal being a scene rather than a sound. What happened to the music doing the talking?

8)
Michael^Heaven
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re:

Post by Michael^Heaven »

I don't really 'dress-up' when I go out but I'm not bumming out either. Basically, just a nice t-shirt or collar button down, pants that are light (jeans get too heavy for me when the sweat kicks in :? ), & some sneakers for maximum dance-ability. :wink:
"So knives out
Cook him up
Squash his head
Put him in the pot "-jz
Rich
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rich »

Exactly - they are just practical, simple clothes, chosen with dancing in mind! I like to look good (or try to at least!) but I always go clubbing in trainers, because 8 hours of stomping is just not good in leather shoes!! Again, it is just being practical =)

It is once you start wearing a scarf indoors, shades at night inside a club etc etc etc that you become about the fashion rather than the music... You see people in tight jeans, trendy leather jackets etc and they can't even dance in those clothes. Sadly, I think a lot of them didn't even go there to dance in the first place...

:(
Del
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Del »

Rich wrote:Exactly - they are just practical, simple clothes, chosen with dancing in mind! I like to look good (or try to at least!) but I always go clubbing in trainers, because 8 hours of stomping is just not good in leather shoes!! Again, it is just being practical =)

It is once you start wearing a scarf indoors, shades at night inside a club etc etc etc that you become about the fashion rather than the music... You see people in tight jeans, trendy leather jackets etc and they can't even dance in those clothes. Sadly, I think a lot of them didn't even go there to dance in the first place...

....ou'll prob notice that these very same guys are the ones leaving at 3am. Scarves and shades indoors i just don't understand.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Rich wrote:Exactly - they are just practical, simple clothes, chosen with dancing in mind! I like to look good (or try to at least!) but I always go clubbing in trainers, because 8 hours of stomping is just not good in leather shoes!! Again, it is just being practical =)

But is that a problem really? Isn't it good that the crowd is a bit mixed, so it's not just 200 minimal trainspotter guys standing there dancing, isn't quite good that there is a mixed crowd?
I know that I think so.