Analogue/tube channelstrip or dynamics proc.?

- ask away
ArhiteK
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Analogue/tube channelstrip or dynamics proc.?

Post by ArhiteK »

One more question?

I want to buy some kind of outboard dynamics processor/EQ or channelstrip for warming up and shaping my AUs. It can even be tube based, but it doesn't have to be...

Goal is to get richer and warmer sound then I can get only with software sources.

And again, it has to be in budget category... For now. :)

Any recommendations?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

IMO, these are the only two stand alone processors that have enough quality for the price, but they are still fairly expensive.

these machines are excellent;

http://www.tlaudio.co.uk/docs_07/product_07/EQ-2.shtml
http://www.tlaudio.co.uk/docs_07/product_07/C-1.shtml

TLA make different series of valve processors, but the classic series is much better than the project studio ivory series, to be honest i dont think the ivory series are good enough. (i've got one)
you get what you pay for.

Toft audio do a nice combined dynamics processor, which is cheaper but not as flexible;

http://www.toftaudiodesigns.com/atc2.html

i dont think its worth wasting money on budget outboard gear, better to save up till you can get something decent, which will last you forever.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

with outboard gear it's better to spend quite a bit. really good software is better than budget hardware these days.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

mix it in your digital domain, send the mix to a mastering engieneer, he will run it through some good high end analog stuff and voila, you have your warmth and you wont fck up your mix with bad mastering plus once you spend money on the mastering engieneer you will be more motivated to make good tracks.

Edit: 909 8) wickeeed (my 909th post) :D
wtf
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by wtf »

New Guy wrote:mix it in your digital domain, send the mix to a mastering engieneer, he will run it through some good high end analog stuff and voila, you have your warmth and you wont fck up your mix with bad mastering plus once you spend money on the mastering engieneer you will be more motivated to make good tracks.
I actually find it interesting that some of you guys have so much faith in the brilliance of mastering engineers. not that it matters in the least, but I think, contrary to popular opinion, a lot of mastering engineers are using software these days (even though they have a lot of gear in their studios - maybe legacy OR to impress clients?!?!)!
ArhiteK
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ArhiteK »

yeah... hmmm...

actually,what about other ways of using it. For example, run sound out from my Synthesizer 1 through it, and bring it in. Run a bus through it and back, and just add some fatness/sweetness to some channels...

Is it bad idea?
wtf
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by wtf »

ArhiteK wrote:yeah... hmmm...

actually,what about other ways of using it. For example, run sound out from my Synthesizer 1 through it, and bring it in. Run a bus through it and back, and just add some fatness/sweetness to some channels...

Is it bad idea?
that's the idea! i think the best idea for warming things up is on the way into your computer. Once you're in the digital domain, you suffer a hit each time you jump out and back in. Get some cool sounding preamps and run your synths through it...buy a guitar amp and run your synth through it and mic that and run the mic through a cool preamp??
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

wtf wrote:
New Guy wrote:mix it in your digital domain, send the mix to a mastering engieneer, he will run it through some good high end analog stuff and voila, you have your warmth and you wont fck up your mix with bad mastering plus once you spend money on the mastering engieneer you will be more motivated to make good tracks.
I actually find it interesting that some of you guys have so much faith in the brilliance of mastering engineers. not that it matters in the least, but I think, contrary to popular opinion, a lot of mastering engineers are using software these days (even though they have a lot of gear in their studios - maybe legacy OR to impress clients?!?!)!
well, apart from gear theres two more aspects to keep in mind.
1) Objectivity of the ME
2) Experience of the ME

anyway, whatever floats your boat man.