please explain

- open
accdntly
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by accdntly »

I think the argument is vague with lots of grey area to argue. In my opinion there is a difference between minute soundprocessing such as akufen or taylor dupree, rigid and thoughtful minimalism like Studio 1 and Plastikman, and concept such as Jeff Mills (not so "minimal) and Herbert VS the likes of trance anthems, agro hardcore, and shitty bonehead techno. I think those are some obvious differences with thousands and thousands or other artists falling inbatween.
Femmerus
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Femmerus »

The Remix wrote:
dsat wrote:i think some music and some (many) people are stupid
no problem with that

the market and the airwaves are saturated with mindless, formulaic and commercial mass consumption music, and i'm certainly not being snobbish about it

it's an industry with industry (money) rules

the word "intelligent" for me refers to depth, artistic, pushing the envelope, content, intricate, emotional, ...
"intelligent" is not contempt...

i have absolutely no problem using the word "intelligent"
i live in a neighbourhood where there so many people whose intelligence equal that of Homer Simpson, and their musical tastes are far from intelligent, because they don't think with their head and heart, but only with their wallets and testicles
it may seem ugly to regard them as cattle... but lack of intelligence and independent thought leads to manipulation and mass behaviour and outright stupidity, but that doesnt mean that these people are bad, no need for contempt, but it's pretty stupid to pretend we're all on the same level

it took me a while to realise that, because I used to think everyone could have the same potential, but it's not the case, they're will always be a malleable mass and a manipulative equally stupid elite.... and then there's a minority of bystanders who try to live outside the mass...
it's been like that forever and this applies to art in general as well
and i'm not being snobbish at all

so much for using the word "intelligent"
Dead on! Cheerio!
but still, intelligent means

1. Having or showing highly developed mental ability; clever.

Thesaurus: smart, bright, clever, thinking, rational, well-informed, enlightened, perspicacious, discerning, knowing, brainy (slang); Antonym: foolish.

2. Said of a machine, computer, weapon, etc: able to vary its behaviour according to the situation.

music itself is not having the ability discribed above, I basically only support the first meaning of the word. Without the creator music is not developing itself. And it does not vary itself according to a situation either...
NIGHTFLY PartyGirl
Femmerus
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Femmerus »

The Remix wrote:
no problem with that

the market and the airwaves are saturated with mindless, formulaic and commercial mass consumption music, and i'm certainly not being snobbish about it

the word "intelligent" for me refers to depth, artistic, pushing the envelope, content, intricate, emotional, ...

i live in a neighbourhood where there so many people whose intelligence equal that of Homer Simpson, and their musical tastes are far from intelligent, because they don't think with their head and heart, but only with their wallets and testicles
it may seem ugly to regard them as cattle... but lack of intelligence and independent thought leads to manipulation and mass behaviour and outright stupidity, but that doesnt mean that these people are bad, no need for contempt, but it's pretty stupid to pretend we're all on the same level

it took me a while to realise that, because I used to think everyone could have the same potential, but it's not the case, they're will always be a malleable mass and a manipulative equally stupid elite.... and then there's a minority of bystanders who try to live outside the mass...

Dead on! Cheerio!
NIGHTFLY PartyGirl
Femmerus
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Femmerus »

The Remix wrote:
no problem with that

Dead on! Cheerio!

well intelligent means:

1. Having or showing highly developed mental ability; clever.

Thesaurus: smart, bright, clever, thinking, rational, well-informed, enlightened, perspicacious, discerning, knowing, brainy (slang); Antonym: foolish.

2. Said of a machine, computer, weapon, etc: able to vary its behaviour according to the situation.

music itself does not have the abilities described above...
NIGHTFLY PartyGirl
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

Femmerus wrote: music itself does not have the abilities described above...
sure
intelligent music merely means that's it's the result of intelligence, not intelligence itself... "intelligent" is an adjective
don't go taking things too literal, i'm a language nerd myself
i even went to school for that, so don't start throwing dictionaries at me
i have a collection at home of those books... and i literally swam in them
trust me, i know the difference between nouns and adjectives and phrases
The Remix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by The Remix »

^ again--*clapping commences*

Plus- lets take this woman's arguement- The whole question here is how WE describe the music to others- not how literal can we make the translation. If you tell someone it's IDM- they can go to google and search IDM- it's not hard- once you get a few key descriptors to get them on their way. :)
theremixphilly@yahoo.com

I live in the House- & Micro-House lives in me.
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

Eeek! What happened here.

*sigh*
roebin de freitas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by roebin de freitas »

I started a discussion.... run! :p

well, if "intelligent" isn't used in it's literal sense, then it's subjective.
I've never heard the term "dumb" music, used to define an entire genre.
It's only being used to highten the status of a genre, hence being snob about it...