- open
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: troy pierce

Post by Celltek »

Rich wrote:
Celltek wrote:
grace anxiety wrote:but as a dj i think hes really bad. ive seen him 3 times and the last time i seen him i wanted to leave the club. i think he should stick to producing..
All I have to say is.. Dude, Weak!

I could make about 30 threads about DJ's/Liveacts I dont like and think are boring.. But in the end I'll just look like an idiot and damage my reputation on the board.
What? So if I say that I don't rate a Dj or a producer, then I make myself look like an idiot? How does that work? Surely it is more foolish to put shining bright positive comments on everything! Everyone's a winner! You're all great!!! (Richie is GODDDD!!!)

Maybe if you wrote a bit about who you don't rate, and gave some constructive criticism, the artist might see it, take it on board, and try to change his approach to things in future. His style would improve as he gets rid of the bad points, so his music is better, so it is good for everyone! Except that it won't happen, because nobody will post negative comments as nobody wants to be seen as an idiot or damage their reputation on the board...

That, to me, is weak.
Obviously you haven't read many of my posts under the label section or the liveset section and if you did you'll see I have no problem expressing my feelings towards stuff. My problem is that you feel comfortable posting this nonsense (which is what I think of your oppinion) and expect to have a healthy discussion. How can you bash another dj so openly and shamefully in the general chat and call that constructive criticism.
Rich
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rich »

I have seen your comments around the board, Celltek, and you do seem pretty switched on. But it looks like you didn't read what I wrote in this thread.

I'll repeat:

I've only seen Troy play once. I was really excited to see him, but totally disappointd by what happened. He spent the whole 2 hours sitting behind his laptop, making no effort to engage the crowd, and people got bored because they were all hyped up and looking to have a party, and he wasn't even looking up from the screen; just sitting on his ass, as if we weren't even there...

You think it is nonsense that the vibe in a club dies off very rapidly if the dj doesn't appear to make any effort, doesn't even look at his crowd, and doesn't even bother to stand up? And when he sees that the room is emptying, and he is losing the audience, he does nothing about it, and doesn't even try to inject some energy or some freshness, just keeps on sittin' there, gazing at his screen?

There were maybe 150 people in the room for Matt Dear, who was on before, and we all loved it! Then Troy killed it off miserably, and there were quite honestly about 10 people left.

You think that is nonsense?

And what is shameful about complaining that a dj just sat down for the full two hour set, and didn't make any effort to try and save it once he saw that he was losing people rapidly. He didn't even get off his seat...

Troy is a superstar. He is far bigger than that club, and he doesn't need to impress that audience in order to keep his career going. But you know what? It would have been nice to feel like he actually gave a damn that we were even there, and had all paid for tickets to see him. He didn't break sweat. He didn't get off his chair, or even take his jacket off. He just sat there, aware that the room was emptying, but doing nothing to spice things up and save the day.

Minimal music is cool, but minimal effort is not.

My constructive criticism to Troy is this: I like a lot of your sets, I download most of what I see from you, and I enjoy it. But I do not enjoy trying to dance to the mix produced by a guy who won't even look at his crowd, who doesn't even seem to acknowledge that we are there, and who doesn't seem to care that people are getting bored and walking out. A DJ is, perhaps primarily among other things, an entertainer, and you must make more of an effort to engage your crowd and entertain them. I imagine it was pretty embarrassing to watch the room empty after your label-mate had it rocking so much, but that is surely the time to try even harder, and really pull out all the stops!! A perfect chance to prove what you are capable of and fill that room from wall to wall, get the party going again! Either that, or just stare at the screen and ignore us. Whatever you prefer.
Last edited by Rich on Tue May 13, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by keto »

I've seen Troy twice. First time was in December 2005 (Aka bar). He played for 5 or more hours and kept me interested during the whole set. Although Troy was really upset because of dodgy final scratch (it crashed several times), he managed to totally tear the place up.

Second time was @ Lost party in summer 2007. This time he was the first act and played deeper music. Although the set was not as memorable as the one at aka, he was still superior to Hawtin who could not even beatmatch ...

Haven't heard his sets for quite a while, though. Maybe he seriously is going downhill with his "exclusive superpromos".

Oh, and I've seen Jeff Milligan also. He bored me to death! Yeah, he had 3 tracks playing at the same time etc; but it was not fun to dance to!
Rich
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rich »

(Troy's set from the Antipop festival last year is still on constant rotation on my ipod. I love it! If he had played like that he would have filled the room again in no time at all, but he insisted on carrying on with the slow, moody vibe which just wasn't working... He was on at peak time, but insisted on playing an "after hours" moody style set, which is probably why he lost everyone. The Antipop set rocks tho!)
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

Rich wrote:I have seen your comments around the board, Celltek, and you do seem pretty switched on. But it looks like you didn't read what I wrote in this thread.

And what is shameful about complaining that a dj just sat down for the full two hour set, and didn't make any effort to try and save it once he saw that he was losing people rapidly. He didn't even get off his seat...
i agree with you, its not nonsense to give a review on a dj. celltek is a good guy im not sure why he is saying its nonsense, it doesnt sound like something he would say.
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

stevësto wrote:
Rich wrote:I have seen your comments around the board, Celltek, and you do seem pretty switched on. But it looks like you didn't read what I wrote in this thread.

i agree with you, its not nonsense to give a review on a dj. celltek is a good guy im not sure why he is saying its nonsense, it doesnt sound like something he would say.
I did say that, and must acknowledge that thats not my usual tone and let me explain. Looking further on this forum it seems there is a sense of deep dissapointment about certain dj's and you'll often read whiney posts about dj's and how they suck bla bla (the mnus crew in particular). This is not to say that im a fan or anything but I personally dont believe in discussing another ones bad (DJ) skills if im not in a position to do a better job ie.. dj-ing, hosting and promoting.
Putting aside your personal experience Rich (which I which i think sux big time) Why not focus energy on new and developing sounds and artists, instead of moaning about richie and CO. because I dont think its gonna make Troy try harder. The continuation of this hyping in combination with the bad performances (which I have heard plenty of) will result in the people not buying tickets or people spending their cash elsewhere. These guys have enjoyed enough attention and its time to focus on DJ's and Live acts that are making a difference, perhaps then they'll get serious, lose the ego's and start making/playing good music again.

Ps. Antipop is also one of my favourite sets which is on heavy rotation on my ipod.
grace anxiety
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by grace anxiety »

anti pop set is good. but again its ,mostly unreleased stuff and obvious records.
malle eppie
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by malle eppie »

For me he's the best dj around. The tracks he plays always have some sort of groove that makes you move ;) Seen him about 7 times now and this friday again.

I also like the set @ cocorico => the mixing there is great especially combined with his effects (tractile - creepy letter to Alexi Delano, Tony Rohr - Discoteca Butt :shock: :shock: )

Also like his set @ harry klein, total darkness....

great DJ and the thing I like best is that he doesn't look at the the crowd and he doesn't act like some idiot in the dj booth