FX / Effects ?

- open
Stan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

FX / Effects ?

Post by Stan »

I'll like have to some kind of FX box, but I don't know which one to buy.

I also would like to know if I will be needing one for each turntable?

Any suggestion is welcome. :)
Michael^Heaven
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re:

Post by Michael^Heaven »

"So knives out
Cook him up
Squash his head
Put him in the pot "-jz
Marcus Stork
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Marcus Stork »

I don't use FX when i DJ.
motf_118
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by motf_118 »

I agree with michael, the efx1000 is all you need, imho its the best effects unit.
to me its like a third deck, i use it primarily as a mixing tool for sampling and cutting up beats although the other features are quality also.

Ive previously owned a kaoss pad 2 which is like a toy in comparison.
Ive also used a Roland sp-404 which has certain features that better the efx1000 (the pitch echo thingy for example) but overall isnt as good-a package (for me anyway).
Aswell as these ive owned and used various guitar pedals, of which some are superb and others dissapointing.

The Efx1000 is expensive but i reckon its worth it. Check out some James Zabelia videos on youtube. I also reckon that the efx1000 is well suited to the stripped back techno/house sound (flanger aside).

Just my opinion... thousands will disagree!
motf_118
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by motf_118 »

P.s. you dont need 1 for each turntable, just a solid send/return on your mixer!
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

If you have some money to invest, buy a very small laptop and a sound card. It will still be practical and you can run ableton just for fx, à la richie.
Otherwise, i suggest Receptor, very powerful!
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

not practical at all, but i sure love it. footpedal = <3.
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

The laptop + Ableton option is decent as an outboard effects unit, but for that much money you can get a used Eventide, Lexicon or TC Electronics outboard that will blow the doors off Ableton's built in "dry sounding" effects.

The DP4+ is a classic processor but it's getting hard to find them in 100% working condition. When you do find one it's usually quite noisy and several things don't work on it. Mine broke and I was quoted at several hundred dollars to repair it (more than a new one cost at the time) so I sold it as parts several years ago.

I personally use the Boss SE-70. It's a little half-rack sized thing from the 90s that absolutely smokes with a nice gritty sound. It used to be my all-around effects unit behind the DP4+ but after using it exclusively I honestly think it's a better unit than the Ensoniq. I'd never sell it.