Lawrence

frankdavid
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Lawrence

Post by frankdavid »

Hi, this is my first post here.
Very cool initiative, hope this will build a strong minimal community (with not too many people ofcourse, otherwise it won't be minimal ;P)

Anyway, the artist I'd like to post up is lawrence, sure many of you already know him.
I've only had an extensive listen to his album 'The absence of blight' (dial) but I like the sound.
Sometimes it's on the verge of being a bit cheesy but I like the way he incorporates violins and such into his music.
It has a very nice melancholic and 'broken' feel to it.

So....who else likes the broken and melancholic side of minimal? :D
circuitbreaker
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Lawrence

Post by circuitbreaker »

frankdavid wrote:Hi, this is my first post here.
Very cool initiative, hope this will build a strong minimal community (with not too many people ofcourse, otherwise it won't be minimal ;P)

Anyway, the artist I'd like to post up is lawrence, sure many of you already know him.
I've only had an extensive listen to his album 'The absence of blight' (dial) but I like the sound.
Sometimes it's on the verge of being a bit cheesy but I like the way he incorporates violins and such into his music.
It has a very nice melancholic and 'broken' feel to it.

I also have the album 'The absence of blight' and it's one of my favorite albums for this year. This melancholic atmosphere, it's almost as if tracks are obscured by layers of fog, really make these tracks stand out from the usual minimal tracks. I never had the impression that tracks sounded cheesy, I am amazed by the depth in these tracks though.

Be sure to check his alter ego "Sten" as well (Dial, Sender). More "transparent" tracks and more towards techno but still very deep.
pH
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by pH »

I do. For sure. My all time fav melancholic track is Dntel - (This Is) The Dream Of Evan And Chan (Superpitcher Kompakt Remix). So sad and so happy at the same time. Pure genius. I don't think it's really minimal but, hey, it's so good. And that bassline right aftet the chorus... Definitely music to make you cry on the dancefloor.
Aron
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Aron »

pH wrote:
I do. For sure. My all time fav melancholic track is Dntel - (This Is) The Dream Of Evan And Chan (Superpitcher Kompakt Remix). So sad and so happy at the same time. Pure genius. I don't think it's really minimal but, hey, it's so good. And that bassline right aftet the chorus... Definitely music to make you cry on the dancefloor.
Word, I love that remix...

Tears assured with:

- Nathan Fake - The Sky Was Pink
- Miguel Graca - The Wellbeing
- Alexkid - Palma

Guess none of these records is officially minimal. But I hope beautiful is enough...
It's nice to be minimal, but it's more minimal to be nice
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

frankdavid wrote: So....who else likes the broken and melancholic side of minimal? :D
Definately myself. I enjoy it as much as I enjoy the more foamy and elastic side of minimal ;)
mikeT
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

lawrence

Post by mikeT »

he is on of the producers who brouht myself nearer to minimal stuff. fantastic tracks. the self titled album and the night will last forever too. ( the absence of blight has already been named -what should i say : )

aka.: sten. -he released an album 2004- great too, a little bit faster (check out: "are you a doctor")

what a man... : )
digitaladdicted
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by digitaladdicted »

I DEFINITELY DO TOO!! lawrence is still my nr. 1 :wink:
synthetic. minimal. eyeware.
nikaj
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nikaj »

most interesting electronic music right now in my opinion.
check out his ep on ghostly, wasting a fall is my fav track of his.