{newB} source sounds?

- ask away
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

{newB} source sounds?

Post by dubgil »

Hello all,
I'm new to learning how to produce mnml (but not new to the genre)
- I heard my first Basic Channel in 1993 -

I would like to inquire about the topic of the lead parts. I can figure out the percussive parts (kick, hats, shakers, rimclick, etc) but when it comes to the staccatto sounds in the lead parts I don't get what a lot of producers use as the source. To me, sometimesI hear things that I would hear in a King Tubby track (like a guitar chord sound being echoed)
other times it sounds like a piano kind of sound, but I'm never too sure.

what I am sure about is a lot of these lead parts don't occur to me to be coming from a monophonic synth bleep. I hear chords, what kind of chords are often played I wonder?

I'm not certain I'm expressing this question correctly as it is so open-ended, but any discussion that focuses on the staccatto lead parts would be a big help to me.
Korg - ESX
Korg - EMX
Launchpad
Nocturn
AK1
HP Laptop running Live 8.1.3
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

well i wasnt going to tell anyone but, i know the chords they use and i am going to expose it now:

they use the good chords...
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

LOL ^^^^

There is an endless ammount of vst synths and effects. Just spend some time tunnung your synths and playing different chords and adding effects and Im sure youll find things that sound great.

I guarantee the songs you like, the producer didn't just sit down adjust his synth and lay out awesome sounds in one take. Probably spent countless hours turning knobs and pushing buttons till that synth sounded just right for the track.
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Storlon »

a piano hit with a truncated attack + fxs, is one (over)classic dubby sound you'll found in early basic channel tracks.
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

if ur using cubase sx,u can put a chorder in the insert of the midi chanel and choose which chord u like,then every single note u play/draw in will be a chord.as for reason,im aint sure...
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

^^^^^^^ but that wont ever compare to someone that actually knows how to play piano and understands musical theory...

just a thought.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^but if you do have a grasp of theory the chorder is a mean machine....
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

livecollective wrote:the good chords...
omg :D :D

but why not record a real piano or a guitar chord and fck with it? no, rly.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...