Engineers/ Producers

- open
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

some of Tiga's stuff is produced with j.dahlback. most of the new things i think.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

for some years, Tiga's material was produced by Mateo Murphy but he never got credits for it. Some records came out and there was no mention of that. I find that to be extremely disapointing in the end.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

If you got paid well to bring out someone else's ideas, would you care if your name goes on the record?

of course, it depends, but ghost producers and writers have always been around for every genre. Tobi Neumann has been behind a lot of peoples' work. I bet that when you get good at producing other peoples stuff, you get a lot of calls to produce stuff form other big fish. I dont think Jellybean Benitez was too upset when madonnas name went on the front cover.
freeeeeee
frogger
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by frogger »

in electronic music the lines between artists and producers and engineers are very blurry!!

I was just thinking about this the other day!

I always thought....

An Artist is the person who came up with the idea/mood/pieces for the track, The person with the style in mind...
A Producer is the person who makes the track cohessive (arrangement wise) and oversees the production and makes sure the crew is on budget and meets their deadline.
An engineer is the person who fiddles with the knobs and make that sh!t bump...

Sasha has a bunch of engineers who cut up and edit track so he can play them in Live.
BT has a pretty decent side crew of guys who just make patches and samples for him!!

I'm no DJ but I've worked with a few DJs and tried to write tracks with them and it turns into having to decipher what they're going for, aka"make it sound darker" or "make it more Tribal"...
fucking sucks

ok
I'm rambling....
iC3MaN
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by iC3MaN »

frogger wrote:in electronic music the lines between artists and producers and engineers are very blurry!!

I was just thinking about this the other day!

I always thought....

An Artist is the person who came up with the idea/mood/pieces for the track, The person with the style in mind...
A Producer is the person who makes the track cohessive (arrangement wise) and oversees the production and makes sure the crew is on budget and meets their deadline.
An engineer is the person who fiddles with the knobs and make that sh!t bump...

Sasha has a bunch of engineers who cut up and edit track so he can play them in Live.
BT has a pretty decent side crew of guys who just make patches and samples for him!!

I'm no DJ but I've worked with a few DJs and tried to write tracks with them and it turns into having to decipher what they're going for, aka"make it sound darker" or "make it more Tribal"...
fucking sucks

ok
I'm rambling....
no no its interesting :) but how can someone have an idea if he doesnt know what he wants. he asks the engineer 'give that sound i have in my head ?' quite impossible for me
Minimise to Maximise
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

iC3MaN wrote:no no its interesting :) but how can someone have an idea if he doesnt know what he wants. he asks the engineer 'give that sound i have in my head ?' quite impossible for me
It is. I did that before and the way to do it is to listen to tracks (because you often get inspiration from this or that track) together and then try to get an idea of what sound you have similar to that. I once worked with a guy who was looking for a precise sound and we had to go through my personal librairy of 100 gigs, God it was long. :?
iC3MaN
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by iC3MaN »

what producers in the minimal scene do have an engineer. its quite fascinating as every minimal track has its unique sound and thats what i like. you cant compare it to another track
Minimise to Maximise
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

iC3MaN wrote:what producers in the minimal scene do have an engineer. its quite fascinating as every minimal track has its unique sound and thats what i like. you cant compare it to another track
I don't believe this is something you see in the underground. This is more of something that happens in the big leagues and pop music.

It's basically why I almost never work with other people, I like to make my stuff with no compromise.