RA: Luciano - Force of Nature

- open
Michael^Heaven
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

RA: Luciano - Force of Nature

Post by Michael^Heaven »

"My philosophy is that a DJ should always try to transport emotions onto the dancefloor. To dig deep and bring everything up that mattered emotionally in their life, that made them laugh, everything that caused sensations. To try to transport that from their childhood to the now. You know, I’m very influenced by melodies I heard in my childhood. I never studied music. All my skills came from my own ear."

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature-read.aspx?id=881
"So knives out
Cook him up
Squash his head
Put him in the pot "-jz
Kleig
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kleig »

Read that a bit ago, it's a good interview
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

( t h a n k - y o u ) - for posting a link here... I completely missed it due to not visiting that site..

fantastic interview...

This lifestyle change happened approximately a year ago, when Luciano moved from Berlin to Bossey, a small Swiss village near the French border. His new home even looks over a golf course, apparently. Why the change? “The main reason was my two kids. Berlin was too hardcore for my family. I was always playing out and it was often just nonstop partying,” he explains. “You would come back from DJing and there would be five friends at home having an afterparty. A never-ending thing, basically. So I needed to find a balance between the party-filled weekends and the days after.”

Vinyl is like an analogue instrument and you must do something with that instrument. It’s meant as material for young DJs to do something with. DJs should do things like record keys at home and then mix things together. I think that makes things more exciting, when people at a club night suddenly hear an acapella from a seventies hit. You are bringing two worlds together. This allows you to advance electronic music.”

“My children don’t give a sh!t about me being a star DJ. When you get too full of yourself, what we call in Spanish “los humos de la cabeza”, then my children help me to stay down to earth. They are my personal exercise in humility.”

“I feel there is more spirit and freedom for the mind here, because you’re not constantly attacked by information as in a big city,” Luciano tells me on the way out.

“Nature doesn’t attack you. It refuels you.”
CUBANb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by CUBANb »

Great article very inspiring.... :D
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

i liked the part about adding the kickdrum last when making a track.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

stevësto wrote:i liked the part about adding the kickdrum last when making a track.
Any input on how someone does his music is always a fun insight as you then listen to his music in a new way. I second you on this one.
It makes me think of Luciano playing at mutek some years ago. He was supposed to play as Sense Club with Villalobos who didn't show up. Luciano was stressing out now with the idea to do a whole set by himself. He played the first quarter of his set with no kick at all. When he finally dropped it, the club almost exploded in joy :D
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

I hate to be the ant nest at the picnic but quite honestly, I find that Luciano's 2007 dj performances quite disappointing. Never mind the reasons but compared to what he was doing back in 2004/5 I feel there are two DJ's we are talking about here. The first being an overly ambitious DJ with the determination to push the sound of his newly found label, the second is the superstar DJ he is now.

Respect to the man and what he has done, but as a DJ I prefer his older ways.
Last edited by Celltek on Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

perahps he was adjusting to the change and in 08... we will all be able to feel what he was referring to in this interview...

I'm sure that was a huge transition... and now he can focus on feeding off the energy of his family...and nature...

:)