why are posts being so rude

- ask away
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

why are posts being so rude

Post by sorgenkind »

in the last times some potentially interesting posts pop up, but then somehow they turned into flamig/bashing/ego trips.
I sometime have to scroll thru entire pages to read something useful, which goes lost into the chaos of the angry posts.

I understand that for some of us is a bit ennoying to read some obvious questions, on the other side I wish people would me more tolerant, or a bit more mature sometimes, like if you find a post being stupid, jsut ignore it and do not reply....

Do we really need this?

Or am i misunderstanding something?

disccuss
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

hey sorgenkind, i know i am part of the reason for your post so i appologize... i will try to take note and only post when i can contribute. fact is we are humans and when things get personal its hard to not reply. anyway im a nice guy and i promise from now on i will keep it strictly music and knowledge, no matter what.

p.s. to ec50 - man i respect your point of view, and i also dont mind a bit of a (constructive) argueing, basically its all good with me just as long as you dont call me (even indirectly) gay. not that it would spoil my day or anything, but as you said - it has nothing to do with music, which is why we're here for.
Last edited by s.k. on Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: why are posts being so rude

Post by Stomper »

sorgenkind wrote:like if you find a post being stupid, jsut ignore it and do not reply....
+1
I saw many times questions by noobs (aspecialy on samples and loops) that only get laughed at, IMO for no reason.
ppl should understand that there is use for everything in music, even if they dont use it themselfs, that doesnt mean it wont be usful for others.
in short, if u cant help, its better to shut up! maybe u learn something new that u will find usful or u wont ruin for others. in both cases, its better than been sarcastic.
Kleig
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kleig »

sorgenkind wrote:in the last times some potentially interesting posts pop up, but then somehow they turned into flamig/bashing/ego trips.
I sometime have to scroll thru entire pages to read something useful, which goes lost into the chaos of the angry posts.

I understand that for some of us is a bit ennoying to read some obvious questions, on the other side I wish people would me more tolerant, or a bit more mature sometimes, like if you find a post being stupid, jsut ignore it and do not reply....

Do we really need this?

disccuss
Agreed
LewisO
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by LewisO »

Kleig wrote:
sorgenkind wrote:in the last times some potentially interesting posts pop up, but then somehow they turned into flamig/bashing/ego trips.

Do we really need this?

disccuss
Agreed
I completely agree on this also. I am an absolute beginner when it comes to producing yet I refrain from asking questions in fear of being laughed at/flamed.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

s.k. wrote:hey sorgenkind, i know i am part of the reason for your post so i appologize... i will try to take note and only post when i can contribute. fact is we are humans and when things get personal its hard to not reply. anyway im a nice guy and i promise from now on i will keep it strictly music and knowledge, no matter what..
I gotta agree with this, I used to think 'why can't we all just get along and be nice', but the fact is that we're humans, and there's a pretty big mix of people with different levels of experience and different intentions, and think the occasional argument is unavoidable.

To use myself as an example, I take this whole music thing pretty seriously, I can get angry sometimes, I can jump to conclusions pretty quickly and I care a lot about what people think about me... I don't wanna say that any of this is good or bad, but that's how it is for me, and I think we're all in the same boat of flesh and bones here.

Peace, Mark.
chucklechops
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by chucklechops »

There seems to be a hardcore of prolific posters who have got into this group-think where they seem to feel they can speak for the whole board. I suppose there is a tendency when you've spent a long time on a message board to regard it as your home and see newcomers who aren't down with the group in a less positive light.

I think also that minimal techno, like 'IDM' and other more 'cerebral' styles of music attracts a certain kind of arrogant, insecure young male so it's just par for the course to some extent.

When a thread descends into chaos you're pretty much guaranteed to see the same half a dozen names doling out the sh!t. It might feel good if you're part of that group but to outsiders it just looks ugly; like getting bum-raped in a bar full of rednecks while everyone whoops and high-fives each other.

So maybe some of the regulars might have a look at some of their recent posts and ask themselves if they're actually contributing anything or just scanning the posts for another opportunity to affirm their superiority. Maybe then you could take a break from posting and use the time to reflect on the fact that you were once clueless yourself and that you had to rely on the good grace of others to rescue you from that state.

When you tell someone their way of working is wrong and your way is right has it occurred to you that they might not actually interested in sounding exactly like you? It's also INCREDIBLY arrogant telling someone what THEIR music should sound like.

I'm sorry if I'm being rude but pretty much after every post I've made since I registered I've had to fight a rearguard action against rude arrogant people. I always enter a thread with what I consider to be useful advice from my limited experience and I offer it in good faith. It might be useless, it might be wrong so disagree by all means but this bollocks is just fucking boring and it's scaring off people who might have something useful to contribute.
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

chucklechops wrote: So maybe some of the regulars might have a look at some of their recent posts and ask themselves if they're actually contributing anything or just scanning the posts for another opportunity to affirm their superiority. Maybe then you could take a break from posting and use the time to reflect on the fact that you were once clueless yourself and that you had to rely on the good grace of others to rescue you from that state.
Well said!