Insert Or Send?

- ask away
Tekcap
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Insert Or Send?

Post by Tekcap »

For those who don't understand an insert is directly dropping an effect onto a track and a send is well... im not sure how to explain! heheh

The point of this thread though is to have a few things clarified. A lot of people put there effects on send channels instead of directly on a track. From what ive read it is also standard to set the Wet knob to 100% all the time if your using the effect as a send. The only exception to dropping effects on a send would be if they affect dynamics(compressor). Im sure that some people do put compressors on sends for various reasons.

I want to know why!? I hate doing things without knowing the exact precise reason. Why do we put delays and reverbs on a send? Why is the wet set to 100%? Anyone have a good tutorial they would like to share on this subject?
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

there is no spoon!

...but one very good reason to put a reverb on a send is that u can send whatever amount of tracks to that one reverb instead of inserting it on every track. basically same thing with teh hardware.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

Yep, reverb is one of the things you put in the sends, also delay.
the send is making the effect in a new track that doesnt change the original sound (unlike the effect in the insert).
one of the purposes of the mix is to emulate a room. like in the nature, when you have walls around you, you will have reverb (how much is depended on the size of that room). so send everything to a reverb and position the reverb on the R and L.
take a hi hat or something, send to deley and put a reverb on that delay, that way the reverb will effect only the delay but not the orignal sound of the hi hat.
i like to send leads and such to chorus, some time i also put reverb on the chorus, sometimes a ring mod.
of course ALL send effects should be sent in around -20 to -30db (they are emulations of returns from the walls). all these will fill your track and make it huge.
I also recommand to take one or two tracks and make a longer reverb with mostly low freq, it will give it a feeling like its coming more from behind and gives depth to the room.
and always remember, group all the fx tracks and do a low cut 150-200Hz so your mix wont sound muddy.
Tekcap
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Tekcap »

Thanks Stomper! :!:

So your saying I should drop a delay and a reverb onto the same send? So that reverb will only be on the delay. In total I should have the Delay, Reverb and filter all on the same send one after another starting with delay. How will I know how much im sending the effects in? Is it with the Wet/Dry? Or should it stay at 100% wet
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

So your saying I should drop a delay and a reverb onto the same send?
im NOT saying you SHOULD put delay and than reverb. im saying u can be creative in the mix stage just like in the production stage.
Is it with the Wet/Dry? Or should it stay at 100% wet
The first effect of every send should be 100% Wet. after that is a matter of taste.
How will I know how much im sending the effects in?
Its a bit difficelt to answer, it usualy about -20 to -30db, sometimes even more. the reverb shouldnt be noticeble when u just play the track, but if u bypass all the sends you immediatly notice that its gone.
Ill upload A/B soon. that way it will be easier to understand.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

i like your style stomper. well done.
Tekcap
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Tekcap »

One last question! Am I supposed to drop the effects all on the same send? Or do I put one on Send A and the other on send B and than turn the the B knob on send A? That was confusing but its what I sa in a Ableton Video Tutorial!
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

Ablton is a great tool for production, but it isnt that great for mixing.
i use cubase4 with 5-6 sends, only for reverbs i use 3 (short for drums, a bit longer for everything else and a long one for things i wanna give depth).
though u can use only 2 sends, depends on what ur trying to achive. put a reverb on send A and than send EVERYTHING to it (remeber to pan extreme L and R) and B can be delay or whatever u want and than put the same reverb after the delay in the chain.
there isnt what u suppose to do, u can do whatever sound good for you. you can leave the delay without reverb or not use delay at all. you can put a diffrent delay on diffrent tracks, chorus for the lead, tremolo or vibreto...the possebilties are endless.
just to make sure ur not confused, only for the reverb you send everything, for the delay or chorus ect its a metter of the taste. you can send only hi hat, or only perc, only lead and snare.

if u want to use more than 2 sends, there is a workaround.
lets say u used send A for reverb and send B for chorus and now u want another one for delay.
put a delay in the insert and make it 100% Wet and than export that track and import. now u have the delay saperate from the original track just like with the other sends, only less flexible.

Anyway, as promised, A/B :)
A - this one is the full track after a final mix (no mastering), ive randomly muted all the sends and unmuted. when the sends are suddenly muted you will notice the track becomes dry, but when they come back, they arent too noticeble, they dont suddenly pump everything.
B - this one is only the sends with the original volume used in the mix. this way youll have an idea on how it should sound like.
i always imagine it how would sound outside a club, beacuse just reverb in a room acts the same way. low frequencies have more power and should be louder than high frequencies.
http://www.fileflyer.com/view/hpl4aBd