is my bass to low?

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

is my bass to low?

Post by tone-def »

I just finished a track last night which i'm happy with but i think the bass might be to low for some speakers. I listened to it on some computer speacker and the bassline wasn't there. The kick was nice and pumping but the bass you can only here on the high notes and it's quiet. on my headphones and monitors it sounds fine but i'm worried that if i play this track out nobody will hear the bass.

Could you lot have a listen and tell me what you think? The track is on my myspace player and it's called "magic poo" :?

the bass starts at bar 65.
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

listening right now ...
with ipod headphones the bass is really low, with hd25's it is ok, and on the computer speakers it is completely absent.
it is always difficult to mixdown sine waves so low pitched, but i would suggest to eq/compress it to make it clearer...
andreassturm
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by andreassturm »

i would say, push it some decibels and put a sidechaincomp over it triggered by the kick! but don´t overcompress it, only subtile! the rest is ok, nice mnml track!
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

yah what he ^ said.

maybe try adding some harmonic overtones (ie another sin osc with same (or different) modulations etc as the sub, but an octave higher and lower volume) as well.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

but i think the bass might be to low for somespeakers
When approaching to the mixing stage, you should consider the limitation of most speakers.
Most speakers are not able to produce frequencies below 40-50Hz.
now that you know that, you know you can cut those frequencies. the speakers wont be able to produce them, so why let them take space in the mix? (and they take alot!).
do a 24/18 low cut from about 30Hz. than take a band to the 75Hz area and boost it up with a wide Q to get the fatness back.
same thing with the kick. only the boost should be around 90Hz insted of 75. personaly, i also do a low cut up to 40Hz so the kick wont fight for space with the bass.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

This is hard i've tried most things said but don't like the results. Maybe i just need to boost around 75Hz even more than it is. I suppose it's more important to me if the bass sounds good on a club system than a crap little computer system. I might have to use a different synth. I've never used this one (Pro 53) before.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

aybe thats how the bass sounds like on your monitors/speakers.
have u tried to compare your bass with other artists tracks?