Ableton..

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Ableton..

Post by ::BLM:: »

So i have been speaking to a lot of people and read lots on this forum about how easy Ableton is to get ideas for making music!? What exactly is it that make it easier then other sequencers for getting ideas?

At the moment im using Reason, which we all know has the Matrix which makes music making really easy, does Ableton have anything like this?
ksandvik
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Ableton..

Post by ksandvik »

::BLM:: wrote:So i have been speaking to a lot of people and read lots on this forum about how easy Ableton is to get ideas for making music!? What exactly is it that make it easier then other sequencers for getting ideas?

At the moment im using Reason, which we all know has the Matrix which makes music making really easy, does Ableton have anything like this?
Ableton Live does not have Matrix, unless you rewire Reason into Ableton Live. It has MIDI editing, not as extensive as in Logic, but reasonable. And the MIDI plug-ins, such as the arpeggiator ones, are nice.

The big deal with Ableton Live was the elastic way how you could take any sound source and use them to build complex arrangements. In addition, you can do something close to the same in a Live environment. It's a little bit what a Jazz musician would look in a DAW, a total freedom of expression. I think the best is to watch a demo with someone who knows Ableton Live , a video on youtube, or get the demo version and try out yourself. Even if I recommend the first two, as you might miss some of the cool things with Live unless you know of those.

Anyway, if you like Reason, stick to that one. If someone has an audio tool they like inside out, there's no reason to shift. --Kent

PS: Here's a collection of Ableton Live blog entries I've written: http://www.kentsandvik.com/category/ableton-live/
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

Ableton is uncreative for making music. Atleast for me.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

sorry mr. logic.

i am unreasonable, so i use ableton

... my puns are overwhelming :evil:
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

ease up dude, don't take it personally.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

livecollective wrote:sorry mr. logic.

i am unreasonable, so i use ableton

... my puns are overwhelming :evil:
It's only a computer program

Chill (*)
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Storlon »

Reason is a nice prog, my only concern with it, is that it's totally locked to the external world unless you rewire it.
Live is really flexible, ant the racks concept can go really deep.
You should definitly download the fully fonctional demo, have a try, the basis of live are really easy to understand if you have a bit of experience within music software.Then rewire it with your copy of reason and have fun (:
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Ableton..

Post by New Guy »

::BLM:: wrote:So i have been speaking to a lot of people and read lots on this forum about how easy Ableton is to get ideas for making music!? What exactly is it that make it easier then other sequencers for getting ideas?

What makes it easy, probably the drag and drop feature for the instruments and Fx, and that it looks like a toy (no negativity intended here). I use ableton for jamming an idea in it and afterwards the arrangeing and mixing is done in cubase.