Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

LinnDrum 2

Post by Android »

[[UPDATE]] Sept 25th 08

New designs have emerged!

This newest version will NOT be the version shipping,
Roger Linn and Dave Smith are keeping the final version a secret!

""I'm sorry to report that we won't be shipping in 2008 and I can't yet offer a new estimated ship date. The good news is that it's turned into a significantly more powerful and creative product. The bad news is that we'd prefer not to release details of the new design because it's so cool that I don't want to show our cards to the competition. However, I do want to thank all those who wrote in with suggestions because this interactive design process has very much helped to change what we thought the product originally should be into what we now know you really want.""

"3rd design, now abandoned in favor of the current design"

2nd Design here:
the BoomChik is now the LinnDrum 2 :shock:

one digital version :shock:
one analog version :shock:

"LinnDrum II

Many of you have been anxiously awaiting news of BoomChik, the collaboration between Dave and Roger Linn announced at Winter NAMM 2007. As information becomes available, we'll be posting it to this page. The most obvious development over the last year is that it is no longer called BoomChik: it is now the LinnDrum II. There will be two models: the all-digital LinnDrum II and the LinnDrum II Analog, which adds a 4-voice analog synth and 27 dual-function voicing knobs. The LinnDrum II will be available from Roger Linn Design and the LinnDrum II Analog will be available from Dave Smith Instruments.

The operating system emphasizes real-time performance with the ability to drop in and out of record on different beats, play multiple beats simultaneously, switch in and out of song mode, and much more, all without stopping play. Both MPC-style real time and XOX-style step recording are provided, and the 16 velocity- and pressure-sensitive pads—backlit for visual sequence animation—can be assigned to sounds, tunings, beats, pad mutes, or sequence steps. Dedicated buttons exist for touch sensitivity, sound restart, real-time erase and pressure-sensitive note repeat or rolls. 16 megabytes of internal flash memory exist for sound storage, but because sound data is read directly from flash, expanding sound memory is accomplished merely by plugging a compact flash card into the rear panel slot. Inputs and outputs include four audio outs, two sampling/audio processing/drum trigger inputs, phones, USB, MIDI in/out, two expression pedal/foot switch inputs, and four additional direct voice outputs for the Analog model.

Sample playback is enhanced with 8-level velocity switching, dynamic filters and resonators, distortion and lo-fi algorithms, two complex modulation matrices and the ability to use sequence events as modulation sources. The Analog model enables significantly richer voice timbres with its four Curtis chip-based analog voices, analog feedback resonator paths, and dedicated voicing knobs. Performance enhancements include two programmable sliders and dedicated on/off buttons for filter, resonator, amp sim/compressor, EQ, delay and reverb effects.

We hope to be shipping by mid-2008."

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/linndrum2/
Last edited by Android on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ekwipt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ekwipt »

They both look nice.

Now all digital linndrummII + Machine drum

or analog +
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

price tag will be off the hook too...
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

linn drum should be about 1000$ while the II should be about 1800$ i read somewhere

pretty disappointed by the layout of the pads tho... the prototypes where showing a classic mpc style 4x4 grid, i don't see myself confortable writing beats with 2 rows of 8 pads, but I'm gonna definitively give it a try as soon as it will be available.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

oh man i cant wait for the analog, and i'd rather the straight 16 personally, the 8 is just as easy for me in terms of pads, i got the money right now... and its burning a hole in my pocket.
robert lowell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by robert lowell »

layout changed dramatically from the boomchik version. i want samples! by mid 2008 i should have the coin to drop on the analog monster. its labeled oddly, 9-16 at the top and 1-8 at the bottom.
kwality
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kwality »

This thing looks awesome - Linn and Smith are legends so I'm sure it's going to be a well thought out machine. I think the two rows of pads stems from him not being able to copy the mpc style he created. The numbering is the same on the mpc, but it does look a bit funny in the two rows. The only thing that worries me a little is the 4 outs... Still, it'll be I can't wait!
docindo.dorsey
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by docindo.dorsey »

can't wait. it looks functional and well thoughtout if this is the final look.
the shadows are moving....