Ableton Kick Drum

- ask away
Tekcap
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Ableton Kick Drum

Post by Tekcap »

Hey, this is my first post , hope it isnt a bad one. Im currectly using Ableton Live, Drumazon and Waldorf Attack together. What I do is create 2 Midi Channels. One contains the Drumazon and the other has the Waldorf attack. I use the 808 kick from the waldorf and the 909 kick from the drumazon and make a little 4/4 kick drum pattern. Basically what I am doing is layering the two kicks together but on seperate midi tracks. This means that if I want to compress them I have to add a compressor to both midi tracks. I could also put a compressor on a send channel and send both midi tracks through it? I don't know if that is a bad idea? What I would really like to do is combine the kicks from both channels into one nice clean sexy kick. Is this possible? I tried creating an audio track and arming session recording to somehow record both midi tracks but I failed miserably(I get like an evil beat repeat effect that wants to blow my monitors!. Anyone know how this can be done properly?
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Ableton Kick Drum

Post by victorgonzales »

Tekcap wrote:Hey, this is my first post , hope it isnt a bad one. Im currectly using Ableton Live, Drumazon and Waldorf Attack together. What I do is create 2 Midi Channels. One contains the Drumazon and the other has the Waldorf attack. I use the 808 kick from the waldorf and the 909 kick from the drumazon and make a little 4/4 kick drum pattern. Basically what I am doing is layering the two kicks together but on seperate midi tracks. This means that if I want to compress them I have to add a compressor to both midi tracks. I could also put a compressor on a send channel and send both midi tracks through it? I don't know if that is a bad idea? What I would really like to do is combine the kicks from both channels into one nice clean sexy kick. Is this possible? I tried creating an audio track and arming session recording to somehow record both midi tracks but I failed miserably(I get like an evil beat repeat effect that wants to blow my monitors!. Anyone know how this can be done properly?
Exprt a loop of both two kicks going and import it as and audio file. Then you can do your compression as one channel
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

Exactly as Victor said, but I don't understand why would you compress the kickdrum alone, crank up the volume or use distortion instead.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
S
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S »

create audio track and select "in". route both kicks to that audio track... they route to the master by default!
Tekcap
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Tekcap »

S I think I tried doing that and it was causing the beat repeat effect but ill try it again. Plaster Ive done a lot of reading and it seems like almost everyone compresses the kick drum alone? Distorting a kick sounds interesting.. any links to how to use distortion tutorials?
theory
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theory »

i usually put 2 compressors on my kick, and almost always I use 2 kicks, so at the end i have 4 compressors...the first one is used for compression and the sec one mostly for limiting...i don't know how it works in live but i know for sure that midi is not audio so u can't insert any of the plugins...
S
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S »

Tekcap wrote:S I think I tried doing that and it was causing the beat repeat effect but ill try it again. Plaster Ive done a lot of reading and it seems like almost everyone compresses the kick drum alone? Distorting a kick sounds interesting.. any links to how to use distortion tutorials?
Just experiment... the saturator effect is a personal fav of mine... enable the frequency bit on it and adjust to taste
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Tekcap wrote:S I think I tried doing that and it was causing the beat repeat effect but ill try it again. Plaster Ive done a lot of reading and it seems like almost everyone compresses the kick drum alone? Distorting a kick sounds interesting.. any links to how to use distortion tutorials?
your doing something wrong then...

what you want to do is create a new audio track. Rename it to "kick compresswhore"

On the other tracks change the output from "master" to "kick compresswhore".

You'll know this is working when you don't hear your kicks.

Then on the "kick compresswhore" track set it monitor the in. and you'll hear the kicks running on the same audio channel.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest