mp3 sampling

- ask away
bitz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

mp3 sampling

Post by bitz »

are their any problems when i sample a kick from a beatpotrt track which can apppear later? (Maybe at mastering)
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: mp3 sampling

Post by victorgonzales »

bitz wrote:are their any problems when i sample a kick from a beatpotrt track which can apppear later? (Maybe at mastering)
nope. Not unless you tell people you did it. I sample drums from other tracks every now and then.
digitalbunny
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by digitalbunny »

Depends if you actually release the track and start making squid from it... then yes, it's technically a problem.

you could always buy some sample cd's dedicated to drum sounds... it'll save you the hassle of sampling and all its pitfalls
eryx666
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eryx666 »

mp3 sucks when it comes to frequency/sound richness. dont do that. make your own kick or something
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

although i agree that mp3's suffer greatly from low fidelity, I do think it's beneficial not only too novice producers, but also helps beatport artists make money.

not to say you're a novice producer bitz, but pro's would be more apt to make their own.

just promise to never sample more than a single drum hit, or maybe a stab, but only if you change it with fx)
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

digitalbunny wrote:Depends if you actually release the track and start making squid from it... then yes, it's technically a problem.

you could always buy some sample cd's dedicated to drum sounds... it'll save you the hassle of sampling and all its pitfalls

Think he's on about quality as opposed to ethics.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

Yeah ethics are another thing altogether. I have sampled other tracks drums before but only if I think I could manipulate it in an interesting way.

Say I really like the sound of a rimshot layered on a kick in a song. I may sample that kick and filter out everything but the rim and stack it on one of my kick drums. Or if there is a sound Ill hear and think man I bet that would sound good with a certain effect on it.

It's a personal decision but I wouldn't use someone elses kick drum as your own since many artists in this genre take pride in their kicks.
ksandvik
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ksandvik »

Here are some free kick samples, have fun: http://www.kentsandvik.com/category/audio-samples/

Below the hihat and effect samples . They are 24-bit 44.1kHz, so the quality should be fine. --Kent