Netlabel site.

- ask away
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Netlabel site.

Post by victorgonzales »

I wish someone would make a netlabel distrobution site that has streaming mp3 clips of each release and an organized cataloque. I would definitely pay a membership to a site that could organize netlabel releases like beatport.

I love netlabel music. There are some real gems from netlabels but I hate downloading fifty tracks just to find a couple that I really want. I don't have that kind of time.
ksandvik
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Netlabel site.

Post by ksandvik »

victorgonzales wrote:I wish someone would make a netlabel distrobution site that has streaming mp3 clips of each release and an organized cataloque. I would definitely pay a membership to a site that could organize netlabel releases like beatport.

I love netlabel music. There are some real gems from netlabels but I hate downloading fifty tracks just to find a couple that I really want. I don't have that kind of time.
It would indeed be nice, but I'm sure it would eat up a lot of bandwidth, and someone has to pay for this to the ISP. It also requires a lot of work, unpaid, but if someone wants to do it, and especially sustain it for a long time, hurrah.

http://www.minimalnet.org/ is a nice blog that posts new entries, and sometimes they have direct links to most of their tracks, so you could at least play the beginning parts.

Phlow podcast -- http://feeds.feedburner.com/phlow-magazine -- is one attempt to download single netlabel releases via podcasts, so you could listen to them and then delete each one if you are not interested, as the individual postcast entries are downloaded in the background.

I'm trying to showcase interesting netlabel and independent producer material with my BioWaves podcast -- http://biowaves.kentsandvik.com, usually one hour + 30 minute special episode each month, but then again it's a download. But I have links in the extended podcast (and at the web site) so you could just click and find the music/artist/netlabel in case you want to download the same or more. --Kent
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

Thats why it should have a yearly membership fee. Id gladly pay 30 bucks for a year subscription. Times that by all the djs that would almost definitely use the site and it would profit a bit if not at least break even. The only problem would be the time needed to run the site.
revy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by revy »

good idea in theory but honestly i don't think enough people would subscribe.

and besides streaming the mp3 doesn't take that much longer than the shitty quality samples on beatport :? and i really believe searching for the best stuff should take time. then everyone isnt playing the same stuff.

by the way browsing netlabel stuff on www.archive.org is pretty fast. they have an in browser player for most releases...and a good percentage of netlabels have their stuff hosted there.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

another issue worth considering is; who is the arbiter of taste ?
its a problem of all distribution companies, that someone has to decide what is good and what isnt. sometimes its just one guy.
my previous experiences of distribution companies (till kompakt took me on, they're sound) have not been good, so i'm a bit wary of trusting a handful of individuals to decide what i should be listening to.
just a thought.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

a lot of netlabel folks are to cheap to spend $30 a year on music.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

tone-def wrote:a lot of netlabel folks are to cheap to spend $30 a year on music.
I guess time wasted downloading a million tracks isn't worth much to some. Id probably pay 50. I was just thinking thirty would be more realistic.
digitalbunny
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by digitalbunny »

i gotta agree with victor... a netlabel beatport would be mad
i'd also pay money for such a service

if i was business savvy i'd do it myself! :?