how to comepnsate for monitoring a low volumes?

- ask away
intellijel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

how to comepnsate for monitoring a low volumes?

Post by intellijel »

I unfortunately can't be too loud where I mix. The ideal for dance music is to mix or at least frequently check your mix on big large speakers like you would find at a club. At this level, the sounds balance in a different way due to the fletcher-munson curve response of human hearing.

I was wondering if anyone came across any tricks to compensate for lack of loud volume? Maybe there are plugins that create virtual fletcher munson curve biases to you sound so you can mimic at lower volumes what it would sound like louder?

Right now I am using nearfield and auratones to check my mixes but I have no sub or mid field speakers.

thanks,

intellijel
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: how to comepnsate for monitoring a low volumes?

Post by victorgonzales »

intellijel wrote:I unfortunately can't be too loud where I mix. The ideal for dance music is to mix or at least frequently check your mix on big large speakers like you would find at a club. At this level, the sounds balance in a different way due to the fletcher-munson curve response of human hearing.

I was wondering if anyone came across any tricks to compensate for lack of loud volume? Maybe there are plugins that create virtual fletcher munson curve biases to you sound so you can mimic at lower volumes what it would sound like louder?

Right now I am using nearfield and auratones to check my mixes but I have no sub or mid field speakers.

thanks,

intellijel
If you can't turn it up enough I would say get some HIGH quality studio headphones. That way you could at least hear the bass. You could turn those up till your ears bleed.
WYRL
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by WYRL »

I think you can get it right using nearfields especially if you're refrencing tracks that are already been played out.It is quite a revelation when you finaly do get to play your tracks out loud and it's good to take notes if theres anything laking, It's also rare to find a party or club system thats the same.The only other thing you could do is hire a practice room with a good rig for a few hours to tweak your mixes when you think you're done with them at home.Might as well bring some friends with and have a small party if you're paying for the time! :P
"only so many songs can be sung with two lips two lungs and one tongue" NOMEANSNO

http://soundcloud.com/wyrl
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

actually it's much better to monitor at low volumes, up to a point.
small nearfields at lowish volume is what you want.
your ears compress the sound the louder it gets, so you end up with an out of balance mix.
i used to monitor at high volume when i started out under the mistaken impression i had to hear it loud like in a club, now i monitor at very low volume, and my mixes are much more accurate.
this is common practice for studio engineers.
it is worth checking you mix through a sound system, but you need to know it's a good system EQ'd right. i have my own system now, but before i would go down to my local club, and got friendly with the engineer, and he used to let me in before the doors opened so i could check my tunes.
i dont worry so much about this now, i've got a cheap beatbox, and i know if it sounds right on that, it will rock a club. it's worth finding something like that to become your yardstick.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

steevio wrote:actually it's much better to monitor at low volumes, up to a point.
+ 1000000000000
what sounds good at 60 dB is going to sound good at 100
I wouldn't work a lot under 60 dB anyway, under this threshold the fletcher-monsoon curve colors A LOT our earing.
entek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by entek »

victorgonzales wrote: If you can't turn it up enough I would say get some HIGH quality studio headphones. That way you could at least hear the bass. You could turn those up till your ears bleed.
bear in mind your health man.workin on headphones will make you deaf in a couple of years the most!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

entek wrote:
victorgonzales wrote: If you can't turn it up enough I would say get some HIGH quality studio headphones. That way you could at least hear the bass. You could turn those up till your ears bleed.
bear in mind your health man.workin on headphones will make you deaf in a couple of years the most!
+1

headphones are leathal.
i've got really bad tinnitus in my left ear from DJing (i mix with my left)
i had it within 3 years of DJi'ng, before that i spent 20 years playing guitar in bands with two marshall stacks behind me, i used to face toward the drummer to my right, so i got the full force in my right ear, plus the drummer twatting his crash cymbal centimeters away, and yet my right ear is fine !
betzy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by betzy »

steevio wrote:
entek wrote:
+1

headphones are leathal.
i've got really bad tinnitus in my left ear from DJing (i mix with my left)
i had it within 3 years of DJi'ng, before that i spent 20 years playing guitar in bands with two marshall stacks behind me, i used to face toward the drummer to my right, so i got the full force in my right ear, plus the drummer twatting his crash cymbal centimeters away, and yet my right ear is fine !
goddamn i should quit using them so much