Compression Settings

- ask away
dazza
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Compression Settings

Post by dazza »

I'm looking for a list of general compression settings to use for different types of instruments. Can anyone help?
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

sorry, you have to pay for that kind of info :).
async
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by async »

Do you understand what compression is? For example, do you understand what the ratio does or what the attack / release do?

Essentially compression is a linear transformation of the signal, with possibly some enveloping. Learn about what compression does, the nuts and bolts and then maybe try different settings to see how they affect your spectrums. To be honest, I try to be cautious and light with the compression because it screws your timbre. Take a look at presets on compressor plugins and then maybe experiment with sending instruments through compression one at a time, find what you like. Compression settings are a very personal thing and I feel like they set your sound apart from other producers' sound, so go with that and find your notch.
_Mark
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Compression Settings

Post by plaster »

dazza wrote:I'm looking for a list of general compression settings to use for different types of instruments. Can anyone help?
there's isn't a general setting really. factory settings are only a pointer on how the compression should be applied to a certain instrument, but it's not strict.

i sudgest you give this read a try:

Guide To Compression and Limiting :wink:
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
Kilevox
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kilevox »

maybe you don't like my suggestion :

Learning by doing is the best way!

If you use the compressor the wrong way, it can destroy your whole track/channels/samples/whatever!

Reading manuals and watching tutorials is okay, but you have to find out,
which knob/fader has which effect ! You know ??

Greetz

Ben
www.myspace.com/benryser
www.benryser.com

.... minimal is not a hype ....
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

Kilevox wrote:maybe you don't like my suggestion :

Learning by doing is the best way!

If you use the compressor the wrong way, it can destroy your whole track/channels/samples/whatever!

Reading manuals and watching tutorials is okay, but you have to find out,
which knob/fader has which effect ! You know ??

Greetz

Ben
I agree turn the knobs and figure out what sounds good. I bout a couple books on mixing and mastering music and both of those had great sections on how a compressor effects different sounds. Those books run about 50 bucks though.
digital19
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by digital19 »

There aren't any hard and fast rules... and there are different directions... From the highly polished clean production style to the grungy pumpy Daft Punk style... Daft Punk is known for using rather cheap hardware compressors. You can't say one way is right and all others are wrong...

Subtle compression is usually the best in my opinion... especially if it's software... Different compressors also give different colors...

I really like the UAD Fairchild, but I also use the MClass Compressor in Reason quite a bit.

I think this is a great (and cheap) intro to compression:

http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread.ph ... did=507671
dazza
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Compression Settings

Post by dazza »

plaster wrote:
dazza wrote:I'm looking for a list of general compression settings to use for different types of instruments. Can anyone help?
there's isn't a general setting really. factory settings are only a pointer on how the compression should be applied to a certain instrument, but it's not strict.

i sudgest you give this read a try:

Guide To Compression and Limiting :wink:
Just what i'm looking for. Thanks.