mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

In the great words of Spencer Drennan's label, "It Is What It Is."
pascalo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by pascalo »

You guys are so funny somehow ... 'cuz U really show how not german you are. This whole hype around Richie and Minus at Berlin, so everyone moves there, for a german who isn't reading little detroit or this board, it must be very funny.

When I was living in Berlin it was all about underground parties, and we gave a sh!t about who moved to the city and who didn't, I didn't even know about Basic Channel before I moved out of Berlin.

There were a couple of dates like Tresor on Wednesdays that were party guaranteed. Others are more hidden, the summer at the lakeside, the warehouses at Gerichtsstrasse, etc.

But by all means: If you live in Berlin, you're short on money and U hate this wanking off scene, you won't go to Watergate where all the english go! Or the americans. Instead you would go to http://www.schaltstufe13.de for 2 euros and party till dawn.
My point is that the "Berlin is the city" hype is a hype that leaves the germans out a bit. So it feels like some tourists rush through till "Minimal" wears off.

Indeed making money in Berlin is so hard that I just left. To London. Which is a nice, but very very expensive place! In Berlin you have good housing standards and stuff for less money, but to get hold of money is much harder. Anyway, I'm gonna go to Berlin to see my mates and party a bit, shop for cheap records, then just go back to the place that offers an economic future instead of Hartz 4.

Speaking of London: In London stuff is even less obvious I think. Bars that are open late have to be discovered, secret venues have to be found. Once U made it you'll see that Londoners can be culturally as dedicated and active as Berlin people. Yeah, and also they party like mad :)

Don't know about the US though ...
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

point. i was in the midnineties every weekend in berlin for partying and meeting friends who moved there. the cool thing about berlin was its "underground". subculture. strange small bars you have to climb in thru a window etc....making the best with what u got. guess that was the spirit.
....and i guess they are too late...i don´t want to move to berlin.
10 years ago yes...
btw i heard in istanbul it´s going to be hot 8)
techno made me do it
pascalo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by pascalo »

better than frankfurt, still ...

i lived in hanau before, that was a pain in comparison, honestly.

:P
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

hr hr hr
isch hab abi gemacht in hanau... =)

in berlin i wouldn´t get enough money for djing to pay all the records i buy and wouldn´t earn enough. down here i work 3 days a week. get enough for djing to buy records and have time to produce future classics 8)
berlin is nice for visiting friends and have a nice time and buying some tshirts
techno made me do it
pascalo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by pascalo »

Point, but still it comes down to the size of the city. FFM is just not large enough, and U constantly find yourself on the road for getting to parties.

Berlin is different, same goes for London. The quantity of places to go to is large enough to keep you busy, and there's no need to always end up at the same ones ...

-------------------------------

Hey, if U do the green empire, can U please tell the guys from next booking, vinylbar and stuff to take me off their fucking newsletter????

I emailed them a million times now, and I'll start spamming them with other stuff if they go on like that!
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

pascalo wrote: When I was living in Berlin it was all about underground parties, and we gave a sh!t about who moved to the city and who didn't, I didn't even know about Basic Channel before I moved out of Berlin.

There were a couple of dates like Tresor on Wednesdays that were party guaranteed. Others are more hidden, the summer at the lakeside, the warehouses at Gerichtsstrasse, etc.

But by all means: If you live in Berlin, you're short on money and U hate this wanking off scene, you won't go to Watergate where all the english go! Or the americans. Instead you would go to http://www.schaltstufe13.de for 2 euros and party till dawn.
My point is that the "Berlin is the city" hype is a hype that leaves the germans out a bit. So it feels like some tourists rush through till "Minimal" wears off.
What if you dont like the tresor- electric ballroom sound? I had never heard of the schaltstufe parties, but now I know why. Its cool they found an old industrial place (whoa, like that hasnt been done before), made it all dark, and book the same residents that have been playing aforementioned parites for years and years.

Why are you defining what the berlin living experience needs to be? One of my neighbors makes breakcore and he found moving here to be a plus. He plays the squats,nbi and whatnot.

The underground parties can indeed be cool, but they are consistantly inconsistent and under produced. While places like Watergate may be double the entrance price (at 10 €), you do get the amenities of a sound system that isnt totally busted or 20 year old technology, enough toilets, and visual designs that have a bit more thought.

is this supposed to be how cool and underground you can be? cuz ive never gotten that vibe from the people born here, visitors, transplanted germans, europeans, north americans, etc.
freeeeeee
pascalo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by pascalo »

Hey, this was just my 2p ... not the holy grail of coolness or berlin lifestyle. Do whatever you like mate. Why did we start a discussion then? Isn't this about exchanging point of views?

Also the schaltstufe party is more a symbol for DIY attitude than a definition of sound in this discussion. There's good minimal parties like that as well! Or psytrance if U fancy!

I think I got a fair point here that the whole thing about Berlin beeing the focus of the dance scene right now is a bit of an alien thing. And you said it yourself, Richie definetly doesn't speak much german. And he doesn't need to. Same for the buzz. It doesn't need the locals. It happens without them.

Ohh,and I forgot: If you ever caught a Pyonen party or a U-Site one you wouldn't slag off their soundsys. Actually I think the one at watergate was quite poor when I went there. Maybe it changed. Best soundsys in Berlin from my experience was the Globus one, that had the punch for all the action!

Same goes for the visual designs. No established club can give U that much projections, decoration and stuff like the outdoor & warehouse parties.

Just an example:

http://tipsy.massenkonfusion.de/2003/

OOOOOOOOOHHH:

Sorry, also the "where all the english go." was irony, in case U didn't notice ... I live in London man, no problem with the english. Nor the irish, scoth and welsh ... not even with the americans, even though it's said they don't understand ironic statements ... Is that true btw?