reverb on drum kicks

- ask away
sohrab
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

reverb on drum kicks

Post by sohrab »

anyone use reverb on drum kicks?!
sometimes I think it can add something to the song,I try to put a reverb on my bass drums but never get a clear sound.
I'm talking about something like "Don Williams - Orderly Kaos" (appeard on fabric 34)
I'm sure there is some reverb on kicks in this track and it's not make it sound dirty at all.
by the way reverb effects I use are RV2000(reason3.0.5)and ableton's reverb.
Sohrab aka Komsomol
Kleig
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kleig »

Reverbation on a kick is a good way to give some drive to the song.

But if it's done wrong it can make a good song turn into sh!t.
Leon Neon
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Leon Neon »

If you use a layered kick drum, and keep the layers seperate (don't resample them into one kick drum) you can use a punchy higher-end type kick with very little bass in it and a lower round fat bass kick. Put the reverb on the high punchy kick and leave the low bass kick clean. This allows the reverb to stay where it belongs. I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but that's how I've done it.
sohrab
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sohrab »

Leon Neon wrote:If you use a layered kick drum, and keep the layers seperate (don't resample them into one kick drum) you can use a punchy higher-end type kick with very little bass in it and a lower round fat bass kick. Put the reverb on the high punchy kick and leave the low bass kick clean. This allows the reverb to stay where it belongs. I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but that's how I've done it.
that must be a good idea actualy,I'm gonna try it this way!
Sohrab aka Komsomol
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

yeah, theres nothing like well done verb on bass drums or bass to create an intresting effect. it's hard to get just right though.

make sure it's mono too.
ksandvik
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ksandvik »

532nm wrote:yeah, theres nothing like well done verb on bass drums or bass to create an intresting effect. it's hard to get just right though.

make sure it's mono too.
Yes, in general reverb muddies up the mix due to multiple frequencies overlapping, and it makes the whole thing somewhat soft.

But if you are smart and test out different settings, you could get very cool productions. It's all about experimentation and hearing if it works or not in combination with other instruments.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

you could hi pass filter the verb to get rid of the mud. but definatly use a higher freq kick drum.
wud suggest sampling it to have more control over the envelope.
Zoiberg
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Zoiberg »

you can also place the eq before the reverb