how do you use your EQ's?

- ask away
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

how do you use your EQ's?

Post by stevësto »

what is your style of using the EQ's when you play house, minimal, hey even trance?

when the EQ's are 1/3 below middle, but volume is turned up to compensate, the EQ becomes more sensitive to small adjustments, and it has a different sound, almost like a resonance or echo. try it, it sounds good on any stereo. its good to go into a big sound system at a club and turn levels down lower, because the EQ's they have after your signal is turned up.

sometimes its just good to just do EQ all at middle, but just use volume when you want to create an effect. you have to do different style of transitions through the mix so it has variety.

here is a video of some nice EQ'ing:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rPV6fiuivuI

ps. on second thought, i guess eq's below middle with gain in the middle is the same type of sound as gain past middle and eq's at middle.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

this should be in production section.

look at the mixer as an instrument, there are no rules in how to eq, sure you can be all head and rational when your making music, but i think you have to learn to let go, loose yourself in the music, connect with the mixer and feel what your doing.

It's the instinct thats important not the head.

turn your bass knob to 3 oclock and turn your high knob to 11 oclock....

BULLSHIT!
miroslav
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miroslav »

sometimes I prefer not to use my EQs at all and just hold my records above my head and scream the tracks at the crowd at the top of my lungs :) very forward thinking stuff.