Wall Soundproofing

- open
yannick^
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Wall Soundproofing

Post by yannick^ »

What is the cheapest way for soundproofing your walls, because I will very soon have some trouble with my neighbor :)? Are there cheap alternatives for the incredibly expensive material stores offer? (I have a small budget I can spend)
Rochey
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rochey »

egg cartons...

cover you wall in em
Here for a Good Time, Not a Long Time!

http://www.louchemusic.com
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

I've heard that many times too but I've also heard that it's bullshit.
Anyone have any experience with it?
Donnchú
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Donnchú »

What you could do is put up another false wall of plasterboard with a gap between the previous wall. If you're feeling a bit more adventurous you could fill that gap up with wool fibre.

Thats pretty serious but far more effective than egg cartons
Donnchú
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Donnchú »

A couple of documents here to give you a better idea:

http://rapidshare.com/files/60071035/Noise_Control.rar
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

The short answer: It's impossible.

The long answer: It can be done, but it would probably end up costing more than your whole studio is worth right now. I'm talking thousands of dollars. You'd have to completely seal off the room, make it airtight, and build a room within a room, so to speak. Highs are easier to get rid of than lows, but even highs at loud volumes can be tough. Using specially rated drywall and adhesive, sealing up all the joints, special filler, etc. This is only way to achieve true sound isolation.

I looked into doing this for my studio with an acoustical architect... but after seeing the cost I said screw it. The only affordable way to do it is to have the rooms built this way when the house/building is being constructed.
Rochey
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rochey »

Zinthek wrote:I've heard that many times too but I've also heard that it's bullshit.
Anyone have any experience with it?
I've never done it!

so I don't know if i works or not!!
Here for a Good Time, Not a Long Time!

http://www.louchemusic.com
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

i used this foam material. you know those foam bumpy matts people use over a mattress? that stuff. it helped a little, but my neighbor still complained. i actually moved for the sole reason to be able to make loud noise, so i can have great loud afterparties. its one of the happiest things ive ever done, my whole life is so much happier. i moved into a house. not just any house. this house is in the downtown area, and i only have one residential neighbor, and they're asian and have a house full of illegal aliens, so they dont call the cops in fear of getting caught. my other neighbors are 2 doctor offices.

anyway the point is, move into a house. i highly highly recommend it. its the only way to go if you want to turn your pad into a club.