how do you approach music when producing?

- ask away
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

how do you approach music when producing?

Post by plaster »

i'm very interrested as others might are how do you approach music when you want to make a track?

i'll start first...

basicly i make a 4 bar loop in which i slowly build the foundation of the track.
i first make the usual beat with kicks,hats and claps then drop the bassline and listen a few times to get the feeling of the loop.
afterwards i start to add background elements pads,fills and
program subtile cutups.

once the loop is done i export it to soundforge where i apply some deep compression just to see how it breathes and go back to reason where i fragment the parts which will make the essential ingredients of the track.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
jpls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jpls »

i imagine myself being on a few too many hits of acid and inside a rather
dark, warm and dirty building. then i decide if it is 2am or 5am.

around 5am, tracks like this come out...

http://www.boomklik.com/red/RED02_TEMP.mp3
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

so many different ways....

sometimes the simplest of beats and insiration rises from there...i dont do this too often

sometimes an ambient mashup of sh!t and then i hear something i like somewhere in the middle..ill do this everynow n then

sometimes ill sit and chop noise from whatevers on my desktop and make a cute lil folder and then i just start making a rhythm from that...
i usually start this way
leecurtiss
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by leecurtiss »

what a great topic for discussion, seriously this should be an excersize for everyone. if you can read how other ppl find ways to express their musical thoughts the best producers can learn from the begginers and vice versa.

-I treat all of my sampling and writing as seperate entities. when sampling i try to think of how the sound will apear in the track and what variations of it i would like to have. having different shapes and flavors of a single hit can give you a window when you're stuck

-when writing i try to recall the music i make in my head as i fall asleep at night. i don't know if anyone else knows how important it is to tap in to that lucid state right before your mind shuts down for a night. and usually i let the track wander from there.
not really sure if i think this is the most efficient way but it has worked for me and hoping to read even more ways from all you guys out there.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

wow lee,i find your way kinda great,but maybe hard for someone who doesnt practice lucidity! hehe
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

my approach is utter chaos
i just make sounds and let the sounds guide to whatever comes out
nothing planned, no boundaries, I just let the sounds dictate me

what triggers can be anything from a drumsound, a chord, a glitch, a feeling, listening to a record...

I can start out with a technoish something and end up with an abstract ambient track...

it's all chaos with me
(but there's method in my madness...)
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

dsat wrote:my approach is utter chaos
i just make sounds and let the sounds guide to whatever comes out
nothing planned, no boundaries, I just let the sounds dictate me

what triggers can be anything from a drumsound, a chord, a glitch, a feeling, listening to a record...

I can start out with a technoish something and end up with an abstract ambient track...

it's all chaos with me
(but there's method in my madness...)

haha,i also know to work like that,which is great cos feelings flow!
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

I always start with the theme/melody of the track... most of the times, I get ideas when I'm not in my studio: you know, something just comes to my mind... the challenge is to remember it so that I can reproduce it / create it in the studio....
then, I spend some time on sound design, both for this theme and for all the drum sounds, most of it being done from field recordings, even the synths...
and then, I start arranging, usually with an 8 bar loop...
etc.