Elektron Machinedrum vs JoMox Xbase 999

- ask away
filthypitcher
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Elektron Machinedrum vs JoMox Xbase 999

Post by filthypitcher »

I'm looking into purchasing a drum machine and the 2 of these look very close to what I want.

What would be your preference and why?
sauce
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sauce »

The Jomox is analog, and it shows! The kiks are very. very deep and everything sounds great, no doubt.

The Elektron will give you a never-ending palette of new sounds and routability. It is, in my opinion, the greatest drum machine ever built. Sooo..

I vote for the Elektron. It also seems to go up in value the longer you own it..
..::ArenaRockForAndroids::..

http://soundcloud.com/danieklerr
viva hate
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by viva hate »

sauce wrote:It is, in my opinion, the greatest drum machine ever built.
I couldn't agree more. I love the 808, 909 etc but there's nothing like the Machinedrum. You can make totally unique sounds with it and with the parameter locks you can make one of the drum hits sound completely different to the following one.
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

i think you can not realy compare these two units side by side.

yes, they are both drummachines and both are programmed x0x style, but that is where the similarities end imo.

the jomox is a "real" drummachine. if you need basic kicks, snares, hihats and toms, it's the machine for you. it has a great sound to it and easly cuts through layers of sound. i use it for all my basic drum tracks. it's very easy to create pleasing sounding drum patterns with it.

the machinedrum is a different beast. imo it takes some work to create classic and pleasing sounding drum patterns with it. it's not that great to create the basis of your drum tracks. but it realy shines for strange percussion, FX, layers for the jomox, glichy edits and so on.

so, to decied which machine you want, you have to check what you are in need of. Do you need a basic, fat sounding drummachine that gets you fast results easy? go for the jomox.
do you need a weird sounding machine to tinker with? go for the machinedrum.

i own them both, and they complement each other so fine. I wouldn't want to miss one of them.
Jack Rock
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Jack Rock »

northernlight wrote: i own them both, and they complement each other so fine. I wouldn't want to miss one of them.
That always seems to be the conclusion: Get both!

But the $$$!!!

Maybe the question should be which one to get first?
What would you say?
http://www.myspace.com/djjackrock
http://www.jackrock.dk
http://soundcloud.com/jack-rock
---
Out now:
Cleymore - "Reel Dance EP (inc. Jack Rock rmx)" - Sui Generiz 09
Jack Rock - "Rendez Vous EP" - Archipel 065
Jack Rock - "Filter Games" - ArtiFarti 007
filthypitcher
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by filthypitcher »

Jack Rock wrote:
northernlight wrote: i own them both, and they complement each other so fine. I wouldn't want to miss one of them.
That always seems to be the conclusion: Get both!

But the $$$!!!

Maybe the question should be which one to get first?
What would you say?
My plan is actually o get both of them at some time, unless something elese sweeps me off my feet in the mean time. The Machinedrum seems the more versitile of the 2 and I can do more with it than the XBASE so maybe I'll look into a nice 2nd hand one.

The next question:

Is the sps-1 uw that much better than the sps-1?
BOKAL RECORDS
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by BOKAL RECORDS »

its not better or worse , it adds sampling to it
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

Jack Rock wrote: Maybe the question should be which one to get first?
What would you say?
depends on what you allready got.

i bought the machinedrum when i decided to switch from software to hardware because i needed a unit to do my drums. i soon realised that, alltough the MD enabled me to do crazy sounds, it was missing something. I had a hard time to come up with "standart" tekkno drums. A friend suggested the Jomox. And realy it provided the sound i was looking for.

if i was starting all over again, i would get the jomox first, because it provides the basic drums for me. it's kind of essential to my setup. the machinedrum is very important too, but i could replace it with software or other synths until i had the cash.

now i love em both equaly :D