DJ FX - Help with Grain Delay on Ableton needed!

- ask away
primevil
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

DJ FX - Help with Grain Delay on Ableton needed!

Post by primevil »

Hi everyone, hope all is well.

i'm currently playing off serato, however i'm starting to use a second laptop for fx etc. I have connected my xone92 mixer to my second laptop (with TS jacks) and I have this set up so that it runs through my 4th channel. I have a sounbite xl running through channel 1, 2 cdj's running through channels 2&3 and ableton running through channel 4.

anyway as an example of one of the fx i'm having trouble with, i'm experimenting with the grain delay on ableton by using the send and returns on my mixer to send through some tracks i'm playing etc into ableton etc..

The Problem

the grain delay is not syncronising with the music and i just get a horrible mess of sounds. if you use the grain delay on ableton with a pre-warped clip then it works fine, but it doesnt seem to like external sounds coming in. is this because ableton doesnt know the bpm of the sounds coming into it from the mixer? ive tried tapping the bmp button but that still doesnt work? does anyone know how to get the grain delay to work with this please?? it could be something obvious, but i still havnt figured it out yet!!
SpacyX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by SpacyX »

Well what you need is to get the bpm of your playing track and send it as a midi clock. You can select an external midi clock instead of the regular one.

To get this clock via midi you can do it the Richie way and use a soundbite micro.
But if i'm right the Xone 92 has a midiclock output that you can use.
primevil
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by primevil »

your a legend mate...thanks for your input...i think i may have the answer...time to test it :D