Basslines: digital is not analog

- ask away
clairo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Basslines: digital is not analog

Post by clairo »

Hi man,
every one knows that a digital bassline not sounding as analog counterpart.
No matter how the digital plugin is implemented, how lfo form type is selected (in the digital) and so on...
Ok, some plugins are better than others for bassline (albino, z3ta+,...) and with good compression, equalization and so on we can optain a decent product for vinyls SOMETIMES.
The question is: What s the technical reason for this?
I have obtained a bounce of answers as numer of bits selected (in the sampling), the precision of the clock (the digital clock is not so precise as the analog counterpart , :shock: ) and so on...
Do u know the reason, or have urls that explain why?
Have a nice day.
Cla.
djreagen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by djreagen »

what exactly is the question here?
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

i don't see the relation of midi clock to bassline quality. what's your point here?
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
clairo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by clairo »

The question is simple: Why tecnically the analog basses sounds better than digital?

4 plaster: someone charges this difference to not precisely clock in digital domain. This imprecision is responsible to do wave forms not completely constant in time. (i'm in dubt about this answer, but i dunno)
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

Hi man. :lol:

Someone obviously told you that only analogue can sound good. Forget about it, thats not true. There is a difference, but to say that only analog can sound 'decent', is pure nonsense.

If that was true, all you had to do would be to buy an analog synth, tweak some lfo's and have a good bassline. No. Thats not how it is. The amount of work you have to do to create a solid 'bed' for a track is still there no matter digital or analogue.

Given that, the analogue bass will sound better than its digi bro, but dont spend too much time figuring out why. study more synthesis and it will come to you.
clairo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by clairo »

s.k. wrote:Hi man. :lol:

Someone obviously told you that only analogue can sound good. Forget about it, thats not true. There is a difference, but to say that only analog can sound 'decent', is pure nonsense.

If that was true, all you had to do would be to buy an analog synth, tweak some lfo's and have a good bassline. No. Thats not how it is. The amount of work you have to do to create a solid 'bed' for a track is still there no matter digital or analogue.

Given that, the analogue bass will sound better than its digi bro, but dont spend too much time figuring out why. study more synthesis and it will come to you.
I know, i know, i'm looking for a technical advice in this post.
Thank u.
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

what is the sound you are looking for?
i mean how does it look/sound like?
gmschroeder
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gmschroeder »

Don't bother with this too much.
They sound different, what you like is taste.
A whole lot of people like analog, but digital is cheaper and more convenient in general.
Digital usually tries to sound like analog, and (arguably) fails, but some people think it comes close sometimes.

That's all that's really worth knowing, I'd say.