How does the new Tresor compare?

- open
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

How does the new Tresor compare?

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

Obviously, one can't stand up to the institution of the old...but is the new Tresor a fair return or should Tresor have stayed down? I haven't heard much about it yet.
Alphajuno
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alphajuno »

I went last saturday.

Its quite easily the most impressive club i have ever been to. Its worth going simply to see the location, its stunning.

Beautiful industrial design or maybe lack of. The actual club is pretty big and you can quite easily get lost there, or spend the majority of the night walking between the two rooms.

The actual building is spectacular, its just HUGE although only a small portion is dedicated to the club.

The Tresor room is like perfect. Pure clubbing heaven, no frills, just a dancefloor a DJ Booth and a Bar.

Batterieraum is a lot more futuristic but still with a simple aesthetic.

It would take a LOT of people for it to get really busy and i mean a LOT, but the rooms are designed in such a way that atmosphere is still maintained.

The sound systems were not the best in my eyes, but you can forgive that as its new, and needs a bit of time to settle in and be tweaked.

Im not usually a fan of big clubs, but its big and small at the same time, the crowd were a lot more my to my liking than clubs like Watergate too, less pretentious and stylish and all about having a good old rave.
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
positivefeedback
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by positivefeedback »

went 2 weeks ago. very impressed.

i put a couple of vids here

www.youtube.com/felixklingerpomphrey
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

As a club, tresor has developed in a positive direction. A friend was playing, so I checked out hte club last week.

I arrived around 1 and the line was seriously long. It had been a while since I had seen a queue that long, as watergate on its biggest nights never had that kind of wait and I dont bother with berghain. Guestlist had its own line and still a 10 minute wait. I'm not complaining about waiting, it was just funny as inside hte place was at only half capacity. It does take some time to process the people coming in, but a long line clearly visible from the street is a good note for any promoter. This seemed simply a case of holding hte line for image and/or allowing the people inside plenty of space. I dont know how they will adjust for the winter, but can only imagine it getting more complicated.

Never have I been in a club that much of a labyrinth, aside from perhaps new yorks limelight. The new club is 2-3 times the scale of the old, and when I say say scale, tresor did a very good job in bringing out the dimensional feeling of the old with the new. The Batterieraum had the globus touch, tresor was the tresor, etc. The batterieraum has a stage at one end, bat at the other. There are long hallways connecting various sections, some with stairs, some doors, plenty of sh!t to help get lost. The toilets are great. I didnt go into them, but their location is perfect. There is one of those people with a table of small crap to sell while maintaining the toilets between the very segregated boys and girls. I hate the presence of these toilet table services at any club. Coat check's location is poor, causing traffic flow problems, and this is just the summer! There is a balcony from the tuna bar 2.0 looking into the rest of the power plant, including a large chandelier overlooking the old tresor drawers. It isa pretty cool view, but like berghain, only good for one shot. Nobody goes back to clubs just so they can look at a big room. The interior looks like a stripped out shopping mall, and given the crowd, might as well be.

As a space, the design is cool, but quite often it is difficult to fck up the architecture a master of a different era had already designed. As berlin's techno scene developed from diy and underfunded eager partiers, I can understand why the aesthetic of doing nothing but depending on a space to develop your ideas has happened, but it 2007 that is a creatively poor excuse. The acoustics are horrible. I can understand the tresor floor being an intense techno dungeon, but globus was unacceptable. The tops were stacked or flown depending on what side of the dj booth, but aimed over hte heads of the crowd. Yea, you could hear the music, but there was just an overwhelming muddy whoomp whoomp the entire time. There is an enormous air duct system, which made the air quite nice, but it rattles the entire time. I heard a moodyman track played, which normally is one of the most soulful techno sounds possible for my ears, but the room did the track no justice and ultimately drove me away after 2 hours inside.

Batterieraum was sporting a totec sound system, tresor could possibly have been the bose system from globus. I had heard that the old turbosound tms3 stuff had been put in. Maybe it was, but given hte ligting it just wasn't visible. As a reference for PA stuff, totec is used at the fusion festival, bose is a joke in the pro PA world, and the tms3 is a successful design from the 80s, still holding a few berlin clubs, but whose time should definitely soon retire. Tuna? It featured an amateur dj system. It would have been much nicer to pump the batterie sound over a small lounge setup as the third dj setup was completely unnecessary.

Lighting? I had seen pictures of green lasers, but these were thankfully absent for my time there. Tresor has the jagged line on the ceiling matched with tons of strobes, making the room a generally unbearable experience if you are not into that sort of thing. I'm not hating on it, if I was 19 again I would probably be flipping my sh!t like the kids were doing. Upstairs in the batterieraum there wasa bit more to play with. It was a standard pinspot/parcan flash show with occasional moving lights and neons running across the length of the floor.

The excuse of the club still being new is not an excuse in my book. I have been working in clubs for 7 years and tresor has more than double that experience on me. Rattling ductwork, and crappy sound systems are inexcusable. If you have the money, the PA should be on point from day one. While it is obvious a lot of money was needed to simply open the doors, it is still logical for 10-20percent of the budget to be invested in sound and lights, which obviously was not done. One could look that over, but not at hte prices the club charges. Entrance is 12 euro, compared to berghains 10. I dont like berghain either, but at least their bookings are better. For tourists used to paying 20 euro or more in their local clubs it is nothing, but it is a slap in the face to the berlin scene. Coatcheck is 50 percent higher than berlin standard. Berghain also has a 1.50 euro coatcheck fee, but every other fucking club in berlin does not. 50 cents is not a particularly high amount, but it is the principle. I did not hang out long enough for a drink, but can only guess the prices are higher than berlin average. If you charge higher than average prices, then you should deliver a higher than average experience. The PHB club delivered the same exact experience at a fraction of hte cost.

I've been saving the crowd for last, for the crowd was up there on my list of worst crowds ever. Everyone was young once, everybody (should) become old, everyone travels to a new city to taste a party, and not everyone follows the latest trend, but this was just awful. While standing on the stage to check out a view of the batterieraum, some drunk guy comes over asking where to find some ecstasy. Telling him I had no idea was not enough, he insisted this was the tresor and he had to have something. That wouldnt be so bad, except for the fact htat he asked everyone! He was no undercover, he was merely one of those annoying tourists that nobody wants around if they are putting on parties for a regular crowd. The rest of the crowd was jsut as bad, stereotypical young and aggressive or old and slimey, exactly the types that give parties bad names amongst people that dont go out to parties. This is not about whether one is hip and cool or not, these were simply the losers that no other promoter would want at their parties, whether goa, or indierock, or house. Security was very present, but not overbearing. Uniformed security have no place in a comfortable club, however. A big dude with credentials should be enough if the vibe is going to be fun. As I left, the line was still a good wait to go in, and seriously 90 percent male. For another new york reference, this was the tunnel, and that place sucked, too.

I am quite glad the club exists, as to suck away the undesirables that I will hopefully never have to see at another party. There was nothing hedonistic about the experience, nothing sexy about hte vibe. Given the concrete masses and poorly installed PA systems, there was nothing musical about the experience, either. I am sure for all the money flashing techno tourists and hillbilly rural and mental primitives tresor is a great time, but I will not be likely to ever go back and urge those that enjoy seening a smile or 2 at a prty to consider the same.
freeeeeee
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Der geile Ami wrote: I've been saving the crowd for last,
lol..

( thank you ) for taking the time to give a proper review.

:)
Coog
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Coog »

A friend of mine just came back from Berlin said he checked out Tresor said he had to leave due to the fact the place was getting overrun with guidos! Guidos in Berlin? Guess it could happen, tourist maybe, but sh!t man what is this world coming to. Said the sound was pretty bad too. Glad I was fortunate enough to experience the old Tresor years ago
prenzlauer
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by prenzlauer »

Der geile Ami wrote:As a club, tresor has developed in a positive direction.

You must have REALLY hated the old place :lol: