Unauthorized sampling of Seph / Lee Curtiss track?

- open
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Unauthorized sampling of Seph / Lee Curtiss track?

Post by JackNine »

I swear it's becoming more and more common to sample newer songs then drop them over a different drumbeat and call them your own. I've noticed this in the past on Beatport, but I've always assumed maybe they were licensed samples by these lesser known producers? Now I'm starting to wonder if that's not the case and in fact people are just hacking sounds.

Go to Beatport and listen to the original first:

Feb 20th, 2007:
Seph / Lee Curtiss - Tar Ann Tullah

Then listen to this:

June 18th, 2007
Leroy Styles - Rise

That bassline is totally hacked. It's not even pitched differently. Unless Lee gave this guy the rights to use it, my question is... Isn't that illegal, not to mention unethical?
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

There's basically nothing you can do. But you can certainly find out who the unoriginal artist is and just laugh at him... on his myspace.

But honestly, techno is all rip off of ripped off music... You know, it's been used and re-used since 1987 in many many ways so there's always similarities. Let's not go witch hunting. 8)
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Unauthorized sampling of Seph / Lee Curtiss track?

Post by plaster »

JackNine wrote:I swear it's becoming more and more common to sample newer songs then drop them over a different drumbeat and call them your own. I've noticed this in the past on Beatport, but I've always assumed maybe they were licensed samples by these lesser known producers? Now I'm starting to wonder if that's not the case and in fact people are just hacking sounds.

Go to Beatport and listen to the original first:

Feb 20th, 2007:
Seph / Lee Curtiss - Tar Ann Tullah

Then listen to this:

June 18th, 2007
Leroy Styles - Rise

That bassline is totally hacked. It's not even pitched differently. Unless Lee gave this guy the rights to use it, my question is... Isn't that illegal, not to mention unethical?
dude, that's same if you accused someone of stealing chords. get used to it.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

pheek wrote:There's basically nothing you can do. But you can certainly find out who the unoriginal artist is and just laugh at him... on his myspace.

But honestly, techno is all rip off of ripped off music... You know, it's been used and re-used since 1987 in many many ways so there's always similarities. Let's not go witch hunting. 8)
Witch hunting? What the hell are you talking about? That's an exact bassline and main hook ripoff.

I suppose you're the same guy who's cool with Timbaland stealing "Acidjazzed Evening" and putting it into that Nelly Furtado song.

Anyone with a set of ears can hear it's not even changed.
Last edited by JackNine on Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

plaster wrote: dude, that's same if you accused someone of stealing chords. get used to it.
Actually, using the same chord is nothing like what happened here. Obviously you didn't listen to each song on Beatport entirely.

What happened here is an exact replication in beat, tone and pitch of another song. This is called plagiarism.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

JackNine wrote:
plaster wrote: dude, that's same if you accused someone of stealing chords. get used to it.
Actually, using the same chord is nothing like what happened here. Obviously you didn't listen to each song on Beatport entirely.

What happened here is an exact replication in beat, tone and pitch of another song. This is called plagiarism.
it might be plagiarism, but then again, it might be the same synth patch/sample they are using. nothing major to be upset by..the sound is the same but the rhytmic pattern is different. as pheek said, u can't do anything. alot of people use archipel's sample pack...i guess that would be plagiarism in a way too.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
CUBANb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by CUBANb »

damn although the bass line is very very similar i wouldn't say that it is chopped up....these basslines are too close for comfort but what can you do......
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

The good old days of hard techno: newbies sampled the likes of Adam Beyer, Jeff Mills and Marco Carola and called it their own. None of the new guys knew how to work gear so they sampled a drumloop, used a shitty vocal or synth stab and called it a day.

Today: Everybody uses Ableton and Microtonic. All you have to do is lay down your kick, and setup a hi hat and snare drum in micro tonic with some longer decay on the noise envelope. Afterwards, take a sub driver or a kick drum, turn up the attack a tad, and put it directly off beat. If you're feeling funky, transpose the offbeat kick drum +2 here or there on select notes. Lastly, turn up the shuffle slightly on ableton and you have an instant Gaiser/Lee Curtis/Barem whatever the fck track. All you have to do is add a sampled sound from around the house and maybe a vocal pitched down like, "yeeaaaaahhh...." or "bitches....."

Also, if you want to be Trentemoeller in 20 minutes or less, go ahead and download the "Vengeance Minimal House" sample CD!

Oh fck...I just gave out all the minimal secrets...looks like people actually have to work harder now.