What is an album to you?

- open
Shadi Megallaa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

What is an album to you?

Post by Shadi Megallaa »

Ok guys... i rarely start threads.. but i thought that i would benefit from everyones answers here so i thought i would.. OK.....

GREAT..

NOW..

The question is.. what is an album to you.. I just recently decided to start working on my first album.. And i thought, a lot of the albums these days that would fall under minimal techno are just a bunch of techno tracks.. now for me, an albm is a full experience that has a start, middle and end.. when i listen to U2 albums, or .. so many REAL albums. they all make sense.. and its not just one genre of music.. I'm thinking, when i make an album it shouldnt all be techno.. because for me personally, I'm a music lover.. whether it be funk or reggae, or hip hop or electronic music.. how do all of you see the PERFECT album.. thanks for everyones replies in advance.. I find it really hard these days to really talk about music and really talk about the things that make an album.. i love eps, but i think albums are when people can really shine.. Anyway.. honestly, all im trying to do is to make an album that has touched me like amny albums have.. what i want is to create that feeling that i get from so many albums.. The feeling where you can't skip thru an album.. where you want to listen to a cd all the way thru without skipping thing.. much love to everyone who replied here.. PEACE
JCH
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JCH »

8-10 solid tracks with music, without trying to do a lot noodle stuff. Don`t spread to much of genre/framework. A mistake many producers make.
antonio_pt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by antonio_pt »

indeed i agree an album should tell a story, induce the listener on a mental and aural trip. this can be hard doing when the album is all house/techno tracks but i don't believe it's impossible. i just think it's a little harder to provide that 'voyage' and telling that story when you decide to make it all four-to-the-floor 120bpms+. anyway i'm a music lover too (mostly black music from soul to funk, disco, house and techno or electronica), so my ideal electronic album would have some downtempo tracks, some (ambient) interludes, some 4x4 bangers, some deep 4x4... also some of them with vocals, some of them only instrumentals. anyway this is just probably the classic way of doing it or enjoying it. ultimately, i think an artist album should express the creator's personality and ambitions, wether they are to make a bunch of straight banging techno tracks or 25 2-min long experimental wonky hiphop skits. my 2 cents.
apanell
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by apanell »

anything that has more than 4 tracks... otherwise it's just an EP...
Sneaky
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Sneaky »

This is an interesting thing you bring up, being a DJ I obviously pick my way thru many lp's trying to find the best tracks and I think this in many cases is the way alot of people do it and will probably sell you the majority of your tracks but I still look for a great complete LP and may buy the entire LP if it moves me and has a nice variety and feeling to it - so yes I think some cohesiveness between all the tracks not straying to far in genre but also not the same technique - sound - pattern in all the tracks... I would love to hear a complete LP that showcases some ambient goes to minimal and then brings it up a couple notches with some techno... my 2 cents
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

A chapter of a musician's personal diary.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

it's scary how dance music completely forgot about albums.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

My favourite mnml album is the Louderbach album. I mean how great is that. I can only listen to it from beginning to end. There is variation in the music aswell as interludes and tracks i do not even like, however as a whole it works out really nicely.

As for U2.. Well hell they are U2!! You are an electronic musician which gives you carte blanche over everything you do, take advantage and do whatever feels good to you! :wink: