acoustics

- ask away
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

acoustics

Post by plaster »

found this article a few moments ago...might help out someone who wants to set their recording room proper. i removed a sofa from the studio today and it sounds awful, alot of reflection and plate reverberation. now i need to invest in traps.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov98/a ... tnotes.htm
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
markojux
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by markojux »

heh...

yeah i had an old mattress in my studio.. I took it out and the sound went to pot...
I have invested in Sound proofing for behing me the speakers plus speaker dampeners.. now the sounds is great. :lol: . all i need is some sound proofing directly above me on the roof.

it is worthwhile.... 8)
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

did you calculate anything before or just placed the foam randomly? i found some freeware apps for calculating space on SOS website, but now it tells me i need to pay to view the whole article. if anyone has any knowledge about it speak up. how do you calculate things prior placing foam etc.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

http://recording.org/forum-34.html
there u should b able to find a lot of advice
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

wonderful.
markojux
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by markojux »

I didnt randomly place it.. I asked a few local guys here and they explained to me what and where i should place acoustic material.

I have polised wood floors which also created reverb. so i need to do some work in this area plus add more acoustic dampener above my head on the roof and it should be getting closer to a decent production environment.
nfty
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nfty »

Ideally, you would try to create a reflection free zone around your listening position.

Most prone to reflections is the rear wall behind your monitors, so it is a good idea to start there an place absorbers.

Next are the reflections from side walls. You need a drawing of your studio with monitors and listening position. draw straight lines from you monitors into all directions keeping in mind, that sound (above a certain frequency) distributes geometrically, i.e. the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection.

The walls where sounds gets reflected back to you ear are where to place the absorbers.

You should never try to make you room dead, i.e. to place too many absorbers as this will make your room very uncomfortable to listening in. For the same reason most acoustic engineers recommend placing absorbent material only on the wall behind the monitors and side walls while using diffusors at the rear wall.

The biggest problem in most home studios is bass response. Your absorbent material will need a decent thickness to be usefull for bass trapping. I have 4 "Billy" book shelves from Ikea filled completely (24 cm thick) with- "Thermo Hanf", an absorbent material made from hemp. You can also place special bass traps in your room's corners (that's where low frequencies accumulate).
markojux
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by markojux »

haha

i have the same unit from ikea..

thanks for the extra advice there.. either side i didnt think about.. but ur right to much can deaden the whole room..