phonic insulation of my apartment

- ask away
fl0w
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

phonic insulation of my apartment

Post by fl0w »

Hi,

I'm about to buy an apartment in a small building built in the 70's (so phonic insulation is far from perfect), and I guess my future neighbours won't be too happy with my mixing sessions. And I won't be happy if the baby I've heard cries at night.

At worse, I would like to have a room dedicated to my noisy activities. The appartment is on the last floor, so the problems may come from the floor and the walls.

I've googled a bit, I've founds some interesting products (cellofoam...) but, well, text and pictures and raw numbers hardly convince me. And they're rather pricey, the question is: are they worth their price?

Also, I have a girlfriend. She might not enjoy 5cm-thick black foam everywhere ^^

So what can I do? And what results can I expect? Please share your experience!

Thank you.
:.: : :: : :.: .:. :.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

go with the foam, its great and ladys love an isolated room where no sound goes out :wink: :wink:
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

New Guy wrote:go with the foam, its great and ladys love an isolated room where no sound goes out :wink: :wink:
:) :wink:
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

New Guy wrote:go with the foam, its great and ladys love an isolated room where no sound goes out :wink: :wink:
for sure! :D
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
Keagan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Keagan »

I am in the same situation.

How does the foam work? do I have to cover every inch of my walls to conceal the sound?
Ruso
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ruso »

for walls theres this stuff I don't know what it's called but it kinda looks like those paper things that hold eggs.... it's kinda like that diamond foam but its' designed to cancel sound out....

I would use studio monitors lifted off the floor on stand, and put stands on some sort of a matt, simply because that won't tranfer the bass into the floor yet you can still hear it because the monitors are directional speakers.
kwality
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kwality »

Man, there's so much misinformation around about sound proofing/control.
I'd suggest getting yourself over to this site straight away - don't spend money on foam, don't use egg cartons, don't do anything without talking to these guys! If you're desperatge, get 703 rockwool and learn about it! The truth is there is no easy way to sound proof your room, but there are ways to tame sounds in and out.

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

also check this forum out: http://www.recording.org/forum-34.html (rly professional ppl there)
the foam and carton is for higher frequencies which are relatively simple to deal with. The bass is the real trouble-maker that needs your attention.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...