- ask away
flipped
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

ESX vs. EMX

Post by flipped »

Hai,

I want to buy a korg electribe EMX. My question is:

What are the goods and bads of the EMX and the ESX. I know that the ESX is a sampler. But can anybody advice me which electribe has more possibilities for making minimal.

Maybe you can't compare these two, but I'm just curious what everybody things of these two electribes.
Ruso
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ruso »

For minimal, the ESX will do wonders....

the emx has a super nice interface, it is an awesome machine but the synth engine is too outdated and lacks a lot of stuff... it's only got one lfo one filter and only a handfull of sounds with two parameters you can mess arround with...... besides the drums it has on it are pcm and you can't swap em out for different drums.... the EMX has overtime become obsolete as a sound module for me and became a very very advanced midi controller.....

the esx is superb for minimal, but the problem with making music on the electribe and using hardware like such, if you have only one you have one pattern.... which means you can trigger and mute all the parts but you cant add variations to em....I would couple the SX with a software sequencer such as ableton and use it as a sound module.... but that really defeats the purpose cause everything the esx can do can be done better in ableton.....

Dont get me wrong I used the tribes for a long time, they're both wonderfull machines.... they're a lot better TOGETHER, and the ESX is definetly a lot better. And I still use it as a dedicated drum machine and don't want to let it go... it would also be better for minimal.
flipped
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by flipped »

Correct me if I'm wrong.

De ESX is a sampler, so it doesn't have any sounds of himself. So for example:I sample a beat from a song, and then I can put effects on it with the ESX.

With the EMX all the sounds are allready in the electribe. So the possibilities of the ESX are much bigger?

Sorry for this basic questions, but I'm just starting.

thks,

greetz
john_masti
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by john_masti »

flipped wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong.

De ESX is a sampler, so it doesn't have any sounds of himself. So for example:I sample a beat from a song, and then I can put effects on it with the ESX.

With the EMX all the sounds are allready in the electribe. So the possibilities of the ESX are much bigger?

Sorry for this basic questions, but I'm just starting.

thks,

greetz
i think that no one is just a sampler....they both have their sound.....and both of them have an almost complete variety(drums,hi hats,snares,even some bases....)
i am a fucken bird!!!!! :)
revy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by revy »

Ruso wrote: the esx is superb for minimal, but the problem with making music on the electribe and using hardware like such, if you have only one you have one pattern.... which means you can trigger and mute all the parts but you cant add variations to em......
i use an emx1 and heres my solution to that, a minute of repititive button pushes but worth it:
you can copy the individual sound settings and recorded parts from one pattern into another pattern. maybe do this into 3 or 4 patterns or however many you need. then make your slight adjustments or rerecord variations. or changing up sounds is cool too. and if your fx settings are the same delay feedbacks and stuff will still carry over when you change patterns live.
the result is much more fluid than just muting parts i think and you can do breakdowns and stuff more easily.

it would be so nice if there was a copy pattern function though, copying the parts can take a minute or two...

also even though emx1 is limited to its pcm sounds and synths if youre using in tandem with ableton or something there plenty of unique sounds to be had after enough processing...im having plenty of fun with it 8)
Ruso
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ruso »

if you're making music that's true... but there's a different problem... (well first of all you can just dublicate a pattern... you don't have to copy every part lol).... now if you do use the mutes in one pattern there's a big chance u'll forget what's muted and unmuted in the next part so when you switch a part you want on goes off and something else goes on....

as for the esx it IS only a sampler... it comes preloaded with basic sounds but the very first thing I did when I got it is clear it off completely. After all the samples are your pallette and if everyone with an esx had the same pallete we'd get bored of listening to the esx.... anyways I would highly recommend doing so, it's tideous work, and you gotta find yourself a discontinued smart media card or an adapter to xD card..... it's well worth it and you then just throw on arround 150 different drums that are your best samples... find a synth that uses single shot repetitive waveforms(saw squ tri sin) and find as many of those as you can with analog and digital, fm versions... to get different sounds out of it...

you *CAN* put together a beat, resample it on the box, or you can get a loop of drums, and use it as a stretch or slice sample.... slice is a wonderful functions on the esx.... anyways I'm getting bored...

just get an esx, I'll warn you you won't like it at first especially if you aren[t familiar with a hardware sampler.... but give it two weeks you will never put it down again.... I take it to work every day and make beats and come home and lay down basslines in massive under ableton...

anyways have fun hope that helps...

ps I'm sick and tired of people posting stuff on this forum without even knowing what the conversation is about.... please don't give answers unless you know the answer because it can be very desieving for the person asking the questions...
revy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by revy »

Ruso wrote: ps I'm sick and tired of people posting stuff on this forum without even knowing what the conversation is about.... please don't give answers unless you know the answer because it can be very desieving for the person asking the questions...
is this directed at me? :?
didnt think i went too off topic....not trying to decieve

anyways yeah i figured out the copy pattern function, saves some time now :) kinda new with this box so learning somthing new every day...
i agree about remembering the mute buttons, kinda annoying.
Ruso
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ruso »

no it wasn't ;)

easy way to copy a pattern over... hit write to save, write again to confirm, now press write again turn the knob to change position to one after it write to confirm ;)