do we need to go back underground?

- open
chrisdisco
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

do we need to go back underground?

Post by chrisdisco »

last night i went to a m-nus label night in tokyo. it was at a huge venue but still it was completely overcrowded. like the last time i saw richie - which is in london at fabric - i spent most of the night being pushed and pulled by sweaty people as they pushed through on and off the dancefloor. and once again - this is something i have experienced a lot in the last year - the music, which for the most, which was fantastic, was really ruined by there being too many people, it being too crowded, being unable to dance and basically not being able to enjoy myself...

i find myself really torn. the 'minimal' sound (whatever exactly that is) is so healthy right now and there is so much brilliant music going about, but but but. what is the point if i cant enjoy it? is minimal - and especially people like the m-nus crew - getting too big? should i just say 'fck it. i dont care if m-nus rocks. i'll leave it for the kids and find something else to like.'

this is really upsetting. i've been listening to this kind of music for years but recently it has kind of felt like i have to share it with too many people. i cant enjoy it.

thoughts?
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

Maybe we just need to have parties in even bigger venues.
'gameover'
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 'gameover' »

or going to smaller places, usually bigger djs and performers, for an example villalobos, hawtin etc. they make wild nights with not too much ppl.
perik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by perik »

i was on a villalobos gig on saturday and the place was over crowded with brats. that like money more than the music, i dont even know if they know or care about the dj.. You couldn´t move 2 inch on the dancefloor :?
Rochey
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rochey »

maybe it's the venues that are the problem. I know of venues in Leeds that fill their clubs beyond the maximum capacity, which can ruin a night. there are other nights/clubs that don't do this, & it really makes a difference. You can't blame people for going out to clubs but the clubs have a responsability to keep everyone safe & make sure they have a good night.
Here for a Good Time, Not a Long Time!

http://www.louchemusic.com
zkreso
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by zkreso »

I want music that is so underground that i am the only person that is listening to it. :lol:
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

it's still underground, but more widely accepted. i second what rochey said, clubs need to pay more attention not to overfill the space, yet, if anyone of us had a club, he would probably want more people.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
mando
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: do we need to go back underground?

Post by mando »

chrisdisco wrote: was really ruined by there being too many people, it being too crowded, being unable to dance and basically not being able to enjoy myself...
its just the m_nus (minimal) hype (worldwide)...

i will never go to any future m_nus partys, because of the reasons you write (too full, too many people, most of them are only going there to be "hip and chic" and you dont can move or dance or really enjoy the underground music.

i also hope for the future, that minimal is going back to the underground and the masses or going to some other hype locations/events....hrhr

and the people dont understand: dont believe the hype, just feel and live your own choice of music

most of the people only coming to some various minimal partys and starring at richie, ricardo, magda, troy etc. like "popstars" and dont enjoy the real feeling of music, they are only interested in telling their friends: "oh, i just saw magda/richie/ricardo blabla on the m_nus party - i was there!". but they never really enjoy the music. for them, its just only like a "concert", but not really a party.

but otherwise, i understand all the clubs and labels to make money (and give a sh!t to "idealism", because money makes the world goe round and its also a music biz thing.

i just saw all the big names and they dont really looked happy at the gigs, because i think of all the hundreds of booking-dates, they are tired. but its also a professional job and they live from their bookings.

i remember a m_nus party, 3 years ago here in our city in a big event location, magda was playing there and most of the people dont know her. not much people coming to this event, but for me and some other music freaks, it was a real pleasure to enjoy this evening.

most of the well known djs are celebrated like stars (because of "their" releases), but not as a dj, thats the problem.