A big ramble n a few questions for my newbie sorry ass!

- ask away
isaac
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

A big ramble n a few questions for my newbie sorry ass!

Post by isaac »

Just incase u seen this before i already posted this as a reply to another post but thought id put it as a new thread too if thats cool?!

Just got into producing.

I’ve bought Ableton live 5.02 and also Have Fl studio 6. I’m using Fl studio at mo, just playing with what comes with it. I’v since found out Ableton is prob better for production, using VSTs with it of course, however you can use VSTs with FL 6 so I’m not sure what to do. I’ve heard some decent producers use FL for everything + a load of VSTs in there tooi guess, like Audiojack? Then again the mighty Hawtin uses Ableton so I really want to be good at using that to be honest.

As well as all that I know Ableton better as I’ve made a few mixes in it. Was so fun looping loads of things and adding EQ and getting everything EXACTLY how I wanted it. The mix is a bit too clean really, not raw enough but ya gotta have a go at making a “perfect” mix haven’t you? Many fun times had making awesome chuggy loops n gate effects n pan the lot! Its mad necause I almost 100% sure ive just touched on the full potential of Abletons full power! Playing with up to date technology in the Dj world has to be tried I guess. I need so produce and make a decent live set for playing LIVE with my own tracks! Long way off though!

Rambling now....il get to the point (ish...hehe).

What’s good to make drum loops from scratch with Ableton because normally I have to use tunes I’ve found and bought off Beatport n just play with looping them and layering them with other loops.Thing is...Nothing feels like its mine at all, and rightly so, even though you can create some totally different sounds layering things you didn’t make! So I need to master the art of beat creation!

Want to be good at this! Gunna take a while! So I guess my questions are:

1) Which Prog is best for beginners?: FL or Ableton? (Have decent knowledge of Ableton 5.02 though, im hapy using it and advancing my ability in ableton!!!)

2 )What VSTs are best to buy for Ableton n FL to create the following:

a) Bass lines (Minimal very repetitive groovy basslines, like Hawtins transitions mix!!! Fuckin awesome I have to say!)

b) Drum loops, i.e. A drum machine like the reason re-drum.

c) Freaky synth sounds for extra layers in the tune like the sick wobbly techno sound at 13 m n 52 seconds on Hawtins transitions (extended version) gets me going so much! Awsomeeee!!!

3) Where can I get samples to get going with this stuff!!

4) What else do i need? Hardware, books? Monitors? Ive got some decent monitors that will do for now i think, (Hitachi ones that came with my mini HIFi, whole unit was £250 which is like $450 US, i think :-s )

Peace n thanks to the reply’s I get off you guys!

Isaac

P.s Sorry for chatting on and on in parts, been err partying tonight. Saw
Tim Sweeney (DFA / beatsinspace) at TRAMP! He was amazin too, bit of everything in there, great music!

Passion is flowing right now, I am serious about production now as ding is going well so I need to take things to the next level, which is production and if its gunna take year or two to get good I need to start pronto!

Peace.

(Ableton mix i did a while back is found here, click link baby Anger Management 128kbps [80min] - You may have heard most of the tracks before but its a pumpin mix with some fast energy! Pitches all me tracks up a wee bit for extra pace! Hence the Anger!! Hehe Needed to use music to express myself after splitting with ma girl of 2 years. So I did by mixing a load of minimal techno! lol!!!

cover for mix if ya bothered!! is found :
My Club.....Manchester / London

Micronclub.co.uk