New to producing

- ask away
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

New to producing

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Ive been mixing records for a few years progressed into producing a few weeks ago.

Id played about with FL3 (!) before now, but have recently purchased albelton 6 and Cubase SX 3.

What Combination / Omission / Recommendation/s would you give me on the use of these....

(if you get what im saying lol)
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

personally, i'd try an take cubase back and get a copy of reason. I cant see a reason why u'd need both ableton and cubase as they both do pretty much the same thing and ableton is alot easier to use. Saying that though, starting out, I'd just use reason, youi'll learn about everythin u need to know about in there and it can be easily translated intoo the hardware world if you wanna venture there in the future.
astley
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by astley »

What soundcard do you have? I would get a good soundcard (one with 24 bits 96 khz recording/playback capability) if you don't allready have one.
djreagen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by djreagen »

this is a strange topic. Why do you buy software if you dont know how you are gonna use it yet?
Last edited by djreagen on Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djreagen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by djreagen »

this is a strange topic. Why do you buy software if you dont know how you are gonna use it yet?

oops sorry, double post...
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

MarcAshken wrote:personally, i'd try an take cubase back and get a copy of reason. I cant see a reason why u'd need both ableton and cubase as they both do pretty much the same thing and ableton is alot easier to use. Saying that though, starting out, I'd just use reason, youi'll learn about everythin u need to know about in there and it can be easily translated intoo the hardware world if you wanna venture there in the future.
I'm sorry but that is terrible advice. Why would you ever want to trade in cubase, keep ableton and then get reason, that's like taking two steps backward. Cubase is not that hard to use and it sounds a million times cleaner than reason or ableton. If he's really serious about wanting to produce and learn then he should take on something with a little more guts than reason or ableton (both of which are very limited in comparison to cubase).
digitalbunny
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by digitalbunny »

Torque wrote:
MarcAshken wrote:personally, i'd try an take cubase back and get a copy of reason. I cant see a reason why u'd need both ableton and cubase as they both do pretty much the same thing and ableton is alot easier to use. Saying that though, starting out, I'd just use reason, youi'll learn about everythin u need to know about in there and it can be easily translated intoo the hardware world if you wanna venture there in the future.
I'm sorry but that is terrible advice. Why would you ever want to trade in cubase, keep ableton and then get reason, that's like taking two steps backward. Cubase is not that hard to use and it sounds a million times cleaner than reason or ableton. If he's really serious about wanting to produce and learn then he should take on something with a little more guts than reason or ableton (both of which are very limited in comparison to cubase).
Dude... you forgot to say "sell all that and buy Sonar" :mrgreen:
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

each to their own man, there is no point in using ableton and cubase together, and for a novice ableton is alot more user friendly, as is reason. Someone starting out doesnt need constant cofusion with midi tracks and cc numbers, splittling audio events and all the other overcomplicated tripe that stands in the way of creation. People cuss reason but most really dont know how to use it or what its actually capable of.