mastering for cd/vinyl

- ask away
nikaj
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

mastering for cd/vinyl

Post by nikaj »

are they 2 different processes? releasing the vinyl master as an mp3 is no good?
also, can u recommend a good vinyl pressing company? thanks a bunch-o.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

different mastering for different medium
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

mastering for vinyl isnt all that different.
the engineer who cuts my label's records, takes into account things like resonance in the arm of the deck, and different cartridges. also very high frequencies are quite often a problem for the cutting lathe, but generally a tune mastered for vinyl should sound fine in mp3 form, in fact i use the same masters for vinyl, as i send to beatport and kompakt etc. as mp3s.
however, personally i like my tunes to breathe, so i never overcompress them anyway, which quite often means they sound slightly quieter next to some peoples dynamically squashed mp3s, but thats personal preference, i'm sure theres people out there who will disagree.
subtropical
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by subtropical »

steevio wrote: however, personally i like my tunes to breathe, so i never overcompress them anyway, which quite often means they sound slightly quieter next to some peoples dynamically squashed mp3s
I totally agree with this. These days everyone seems to compress/limit/maximize so heavily to get the track to be as loud as possible...ultimately this is not good as tracks get squashed and snares tend to cancel out/diminish kicks among other dynamic/fidelity compromises

IMO, if you want your tracks to be EVEN dynamically throughout, it's always better to NOT over compress and like steevio says, they will breath a bit...which is nice

Then, if you need to add a couple dbs of gain, do it with the mixer when playing out...results will be smoother 8)