mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

blank...
kwality
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kwality »

There are a million better ways to make money than music. Seriously, the best thing you can do is forget about even trying to make money out of it, and just make the best music you possibly can.

I know plenty of people who are "names" in the music business, and they'd have starved to death if it weren't for their girlfriends.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Torque wrote:It's the truth though
In the US people are way more vocal with their opinions and employ much less tact. That's probably why you all think we're a bunch of assholes. I know in Detroit for example you have to be producing some seious fire in order to even get any props at all. If you come with some bullshit you threw together without any passion or funk to it most of the people here will do you a favor and tell straight up that it's bullshit. In fact that's the best thing you can do to somebody starting out is to tell them when they bring you some bullshit. The ones who have the real drive for battle will go back home and keep on doing it and never give it up until they come back with something that will blow minds. The ones that get discouraged and give up don't have the heart it takes in the first place. This game is a battle and the best thing you can do for somebody is prepare them for it. Most of all though you need to be relentlessly hard on yourself otherwise praise will make you soft.
i know alot of what you say makes sense brother, but unless you've lived in europe for some length have of time, how can you know ?
me and my mates constantly give each other a hard time, ' dude that kick sounds sh!t' etc. i've never experienced what you're talking about. if anyone ever asks me for constructive criticism, i givem it straight, and expect the same in return.

the cut-throat music world you describe is totally alien to me, i exist within a scene which is supportive and sociopetal. we all help each other, quite often working for nothing. i master peoples tunes for nowt, because i know
that the karma always comes round, ok i dont make shitloads of money out of music, but i have a network of awesome mates, and i have a cool time, and i make the music i want to.
me make a tune with the sole intention of cashing in on a scene, never!!
battlefield detroit sounds like a grim place to be.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

You might be right, maybe i don't understand because i'v never lived there. All i can say is that i drew that comment from dealing with europe on a daily basis on a buisness level and watching what happens to peoples attitudes when they get back. I realise the world is nothing like detroit i mean sh!t... even stuf 10 miles from Detroit is nothing like Detroit. You're right about one thing though it is a battlefield and there is non-stop competition between camps and even within them. But this city has made some monster techno producers and even has some new ones. People here are going hungry trying to make this music. For every artist you hear there are 10 you don't. Say what you want about not liking battle but everybody comes out of the other end of it stronger than when they started. Detroit is a Dojo
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

what's a dojo?
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Torque wrote: Detroit is a Dojo
cool i'll let you have that one.
Farabee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Farabee »

You can write something that you're 100% behind, and that your friends are 100% behind, and people you don't even KNOW are 100% behind and still shop it out without it getting signed. Happened to me plenty of times. It's a really rough business in general, and while getting records out will help you get booked for gigs, sometimes you won't sell records unless people know you can rock some decks or gear live. It's a vicious cycle really. One way to circumvent this is start your own label, but that's a ridiculously high investment with no guarantee of return. You can get some big names to release on it and remix your own stuff, but that'll just drive up the investment price. You might get noticed but you'll take a loss, and any gigs you get may just be for making up that loss.

The minimal scene right now is really stagnant I'd say, I'm hearing a lot of really boring stuff that while intricate and well produced is utterly boring and unmemorable. Keep in mind a lot of the big producers and DJs in mnml right now aren't big because they're groundbreaking musicians...they're big because they're good businessmen.