need some advice. SH-101 - Nord Lead2 - Mackie Onyx

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

BobStock wrote:SH-101 is great!

Has a really pure and raw sound! the nord lead has a really static (elektronic) sound, for me. It really depends on what u like!
Succes,

Bob
i totally agree, virtual analogues are always second best to the real thing, but the nord 2 is one of the better sounding VA's.
VA's are static, and analogues are alive !! end of story.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

harass wrote:
was thinking about getting a Jomox XBase09 down the track, would love a machinedrum, but it's bit out of my price range, a virus ti would be mad too.
i'd think hard about that mate, my friend has got one, and i'm not impressed, neither is he. try to audition one first.
machinedrum is worth saving up for, 808's are awesome.
harvey
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by harvey »

steevio wrote:ive got a couple of SH101's and a nord lead 1 and 3.
the nord 2 is an souped-up nord 1, and in my opinion sounds better than the 3.
the Nord 2 is probably one of the best sounding virtual analogues, better than the Access Virus (i have a virusb), but the virus is much more flexible.
if its 'close to analogue' sound youre after, the nord 2 is the better machine, and its ultra reliable and solid. (i bought my nord lead in 1995, and its never crashed once in 12 years)

sH101's are cool, they sound lush, but no midi, and no velocity sensitivity.
if you've already got gear with cv outs, no problem, otherwise you can trigger it with any short percussive sound thru the 'clk in socket' and run arpeggiated sequences.
ive done a really simple conversion on mine (takes 5 minutes with a soldiering iron) to convert the socket that normal links to the modulation handgrip thing, into a filter input, so you can use the 101 as an analogue filter for external sound sources.

go with it bro !
just got a 101, must admit it's killer for bass. After using vsti's for so long it sounds so warm. Anyway, my question is i;m thinking about buying a bass station rack to control the 101. Will my cubase clock trigger the 101 sequencer? Will i be able to record notes from the 101 into cubase as per a normal midi keyboard? Hope you can help mate as there's one on ebay now, bid ends soon..!!
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

harvey wrote:
the Nord 2 is probably one of the best sounding virtual analogues, better than the Access Virus (i have a virusb), but the virus is much more flexible.
if its 'close to analogue' sound youre after, the nord 2 is the better machine, and its ultra reliable and solid. (i bought my nord lead in 1995, and its never crashed once in 12 years)

if you've already got gear with cv outs, no problem, otherwise you can trigger it with any short percussive sound thru the 'clk in socket' and run arpeggiated sequences.
ive done a really simple conversion on mine (takes 5 minutes with a soldiering iron) to convert the socket that normal links to the modulation handgrip thing, into a filter input, so you can use the 101 as an analogue filter for external sound sources.

go with it bro !
just got a 101, must admit it's killer for bass. After using vsti's for so long it sounds so warm. Anyway, my question is i;m thinking about buying a bass station rack to control the 101. Will my cubase clock trigger the 101 sequencer? Will i be able to record notes from the 101 into cubase as per a normal midi keyboard? Hope you can help mate as there's one on ebay now, bid ends soon..!!
don't need the extra rack, you just need to get your hands on a cv to midi converter. then you will be able to trigger it from cubase. check ebay for one.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

harass wrote:
harvey wrote:

go with it bro !
don't need the extra rack, you just need to get your hands on a cv to midi converter. then you will be able to trigger it from cubase. check ebay for one.
harras is right, just get a midi / cv converter, ive got a Kenton one, it works.
i gave you some slightly wrong info there before about external clock input, because i've always used the ext. clk output on my TR909 to trigger my 101's which is sourced from the rimshot. however i forgot that theres a special socket for it, you cant actually trigger it directly from the rimshot socket itself.
so if you've got any roland gear with an ext. clk output socket on it youre sorted, otherwise CV / gate is the way. ( also this saves you having to load the arpeggiator or sequencer with patterns every time )
i use the ext clk input, because it throws up some supprising polyrhythmic combinations, but for maximum control go CV converter.
if its any help, i used to have a BassStation myself, and its the only piece of kit i have ever sold. back when they came out, they were revolutionary, but i always found it unreliable, and weak sounding, compared to Roland gear.
harvey
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by harvey »

steevio wrote:
harass wrote:
harvey wrote:

go with it bro !
harras is right, just get a midi / cv converter, ive got a Kenton one, it works.
i gave you some slightly wrong info there before about external clock input, because i've always used the ext. clk output on my TR909 to trigger my 101's which is sourced from the rimshot. however i forgot that theres a special socket for it, you cant actually trigger it directly from the rimshot socket itself.
so if you've got any roland gear with an ext. clk output socket on it youre sorted, otherwise CV / gate is the way. ( also this saves you having to load the arpeggiator or sequencer with patterns every time )
i use the ext clk input, because it throws up some supprising polyrhythmic combinations, but for maximum control go CV converter.
if its any help, i used to have a BassStation myself, and its the only piece of kit i have ever sold. back when they came out, they were revolutionary, but i always found it unreliable, and weak sounding, compared to Roland gear.
Cheers all, will get on the case now!
fl0w
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fl0w »

steevio wrote:so if you've got any roland gear with an ext. clk output socket on it youre sorted
or a Korg KMS-30
:.: : :: : :.: .:. :.
sines
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sines »

to control the SH-101 you could buy a small, multi-use Doeper MCV-4 for MIDI control via the 101's CV/gate inputs..

or install this MIDI converter made by Synhouse.. the MIDIJack
http://www.synhouse.com/midijack.html

you might want to consider the Waldorf series before the Nord -- if it's analogue emulation you're after.

The Dave Smith Instruments Evolver is also pretty bad ass. And under $500 usually.

There's a lot of new stuff, much of which is shown at www.analoguehaven.com or www.bigcitymusic.com [if you are serious about analogue gear] or www.robotspeak.com

Also look into the MFBerlin stuff: http://www.mfberlin.de/
Small tabletop units w/ real analogue circuitry.

I can't say that I'd recommend going with a Mackie anything but I am sure it's a little cleaner than my system [Soundcraft 24x8 + Presonus Firepod + Firestation from Mac, 4x patchbays, outboard gear]. I am pretty partial to British EQ vs. flat response Mackies [then again, you can always get a parametric eq or 3.. ]

analogue stuff will probably hold it's value much much longer than the Nord equipment , btw. Might want to consider some of the Native Instruments gear for your Virtual Analogue synthesis [I have -ZERO- V.A. hardware] and instead buy some stuff w. some real depth to it. Oberheim Matrix-1000's, Yamaha DX-100's / TX81Z's, etc..

good luck on your purchases.

+odd