monitor issue

- ask away
Techelon
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

monitor issue

Post by Techelon »

yuw,
like to buy some montiors, i work with a senheiser lineair2 headphone but it is difficult to mix the low freakquency's, in the headphone the sound is good, on my stereo it sounds awfull.
So i've been searching for some info, and my eye is fallin on the yamaha monitors
http://www.piens.be/prices/index.lasso?id=5&a=047529

Somebody her know these monitors, what do you think it is a good choise to start with, the money is limited so i'm searching for the best that i can get for the price i want to pay. that is about a 300 400 euro / monitor
i like to have some feedback here, if you have other suggestions there more than welcome
thx anyway
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

from my experience with monitors it all comes down to how much time you spend with your monitors, to get to know them, how they sound, which frequencys are produced well and which ones arent so good.

I have the Event ALP5, to be honest in the beginning they didnt sound too good to me, but i couldnt afford better monitors. So i accepted it as it was, and with time i already knew how my music had to sound on these ones, in order for them to sound good on other speakers.

but there is one very important aspect regarding monitors, and its that there are speakers that dont tire the ears that much when used for long durations.

for example my monitors arent really good in this aspect, but as i said before, i already know how they sound.
The Dynaudio speakers (BM5, BM6) are very good on the ears, not tireing at all and have a very good frequency range, but it has its price too!

so, i think if your on budget than take the speakers that you find sounding the best and spend the time listening to alot of material on them to hear how they sound. If you have money, that buy the best you can get, i think that when choosing a monitor speaker, the more you spend on it the better quality speakers youll get.

well thats what i can say about monitors, hope it helps a bit.
fl0w
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fl0w »

New Guy wrote:take the speakers that you find sounding the best
hmmmm... no :)

take the speakers that let you hear as many things as possible. They might sound cold and clinical, but speakers that are designed to make anything sound good ar epointless here.

I have a pair of KRK K-RoK and one of Prodipe Pro8. The K-RoK were OK until I got the Prodipe. Now I enjoy listening to music on the K-RoK ^^

The Pro8 are at 399€. Try to listen to them. For that price, they have really few competitors (imo).

Use your ears ;)
:.: : :: : :.: .:. :.
provaznik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by provaznik »

if you can't find fck ups in the artists mix down on a pair of monitors you are audiotioning then don't buy them. that's the best advice i have heard.
Bonas
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Bonas »

I worked with KRK for 2 years, now i bought some dynaudio's BM6a.
And they are really making my music better, the low is much better then with my rockit8 krk's.
But it's all about personal flaver....and money offcourse
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

in any case, go in a shop and try out as much different models as possible.

You definitively need to use your ears more than anything else to get the right pair of monitor for you.
In fact there is no "right pair of monitor" for everyone, it's really very subjective. more than that you need to take your time and get to learn the difference between your studio and the outer world, and as New Guy was saying in his post, after some time you'll know how to tweak your mixes so that they sound good on more or less any system.
An advice I can give you is to go as low as you can. The lower the monitor go in freq range the better you can control the bass, which is a very critical issue when mixing.
Techelon
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Techelon »

ok thx you guys for the good advice, it will count when i'm make my wallet cry :D
mattdubois
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mattdubois »

I love my Event ASP8s...I will never need a sub with these and they blow their competition away (Mackie HR824, KRK, etc)...now I just need to get a pair of ADAMs and I'll be set...you can't beat those ribbon tweaters, heaven...