I got an issue to build up my songs.

- ask away
codecks
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

I got an issue to build up my songs.

Post by codecks »

Hi everyone.
Since this is my first post I want to great all the peepz around here.
My name is Dimitri and I got some issue with my song making (hmz, always got an AA meeting feeling in that situation :-) )

How do you folks build up/arrange your songs?

I mean, when I start making a song, it initially starts as a loop. Generally I got between 8 and 20 tracks. Once I feel I have that rock solid loop I decide to build up the whole song. And that's the point where I freeze. I dunno what happens, but once I start the building process, it's like the songs looses it's power, it doesn't sound anymore like the initial loop I had and finally I'm not inspired anymore.

My way of going was that I deconstructed the loop and started with fewer tracks and then while the song is building up I add some tracks and so on & on... I realize now this is maybe not the way to go.

Had some thinking about it .
Maybe my initial loop is my starting point. Rather than deconstructing the loop and rebuild it during the song I should think of the loop as a whole thing. So deconstructing it will indeed not work as some main parts of it are removed. Maybe I should consider using that initial loop as a starting point and go on from there ?

I know there are no 'rules' for that kinda stuff, but I'd like to have some opinions here. Are there people with the same kind of issues ? How do you get around it ? Is the 'loop -> building song process' not the ideal way to go. How do you do it ?

Thanks for your time.

D.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

i sudgest to try and lay of the drums just this one time! start building the atmosphere and a good melody for a change. once you have it sorted out, try to make a drum loop with a few variations in theme + the bassline. i think that could help your tight idea to spread nicely across 6 minutes. just make sure to add variations to each of the sounds you design. when i make music i always do a couple of melodies which sound good together, a few variations with the drums, bass and whever comes in. don't stick to just one bar loop. it will get you nowhere.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
milc
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by milc »

If the loop sounds really great, I think you just lay out the loop over 5, 6 minutes. and make some simple breaks here and there. Lots of super tracks out there, with just a loop. I think too much modulations make the thing less groovy...
Techelon
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Techelon »

got the same problems,
and that's really buuhhh
what i do :
i make my loops, en i already try to pan them, i make some fx bars, reverbs, delays,... until i'v got a basic groove than i start the structure, then i search for the right stings, snares, drum fx,...
it takes a lot of time but for me it is the best way of working, This is not rule, like there is no rule for making a good mnml drumloop.
i like to work with a lot of slides.
i take the drumbeat away, put another sound in the break and put the drumbeat back, so you can do this with all youre sounds.
every 8 16 32 hits i try to change something.....
finaly it is just searching for youre own way to build a climax in the song
keep the good work grtz