Originality

- ask away
credit_agro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Originality

Post by credit_agro »

What is originality in music? In the next few weeks I plan on weeding out many artists that I like and listening to there influences. A guy proclamied to me recently that theres no such thing as originality, that its just drawing ideas from many sources and putting them together in a new way. This to me is originality but is there more to it than that?
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Originality

Post by Torque »

credit_agro wrote: A guy proclamied to me recently that theres no such thing as originality, that its just drawing ideas from many sources and putting them together in a new way.
He's right. The only thing that makes something original is the pallette you choose. Other than that i have a hard time believing that every note progression and every minimal rhythm has not been played before at some point in history. But originally doesn't always equal quality. You can use the same pallette as another person but just twist the phrasing.

Good music is like conversation. There is a question asked by one part that is always answered by another. Good music is like comedy. Sometimes it's not what you say with a part but the timing in which it was said. Good music is related to science and physics as well. Nichola Tesla was forward thinking enough to come to the conclusion that everything in the universe including matter was made up of frequency long before new sciences like String Theory started making the same claim. You have the power to truely effect the universe with music. Originallity in music is all about the mood you set.
omnipresence
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by omnipresence »

Good music is like conversation. There is a question asked by one part that is always answered by another. Good music is like comedy. Sometimes it's not what you say with a part but the timing in which it was said.
this is something I've thought for a while now too, I absolutely could not agree more. I find this to be the most true with minimal techno, deep tech etc (more sparse, instrumental music) and when it's really good I actually find myself laughing out loud (not maniacally or anything haha) or atleast smiling. good post!
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

staying away from questions like
-"what's the best synth for minimal basslines"
-"how can I produce minimal techno with live 6"
-etc
is a good start.
discover yourself rather than copy from others
push yourself at your own limits, change approach to music making every now and then
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

if you consider music as a language...
you should also have something to say, an own story to tell
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

I have really hard time with this "originality" thing.
For me it equals the same thing as "sound". U know, some artists tend to have their own sound, so u instantly recognise their music (monolake for instance).
But for me its like (allmost) every track (of mine) has its own way/sound and I just can't force myself to go that one "right" path and take it to the extreme... :roll:
I don't even know how to decide which one to choose :(
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

credit_agro wrote: A guy proclamied to me recently that theres no such thing as originality, that its just drawing ideas from many sources and putting them together in a new way.
i cant accept that. either in terms of music or anything else for that matter.
if no-one had pushed the envelope, we'd all still be banging hollow logs with sticks.
yes, music has mathematics at its core, and yes many of the mathematical combinations which have a resonance with us humans have been tried out, and yes the palette of sounds and textures which appeal to the human ear is limited to some extent, but if you believe that its all been done, and we are just rehashing old ideas, you may as well give up, pack up your gear and go home.
are we not CREATIVE us musicians ? us humans ?
and yes, minimal techno is probably not the best place to look for original ideas right now, because almost anyone with a laptop who isnt completely tone deaf, can make a passable minimal tune in 5 minutes, but that doesnt mean that there are no unexplored areas of minimal music.
techno is is limitless, because there are no rules.
the illusion of unoriginality is created by the fact that we are swimming in an ocean of it.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

steevio wrote:the illusion of unoriginality is created by the fact that we are swimming in an ocean of it.
on the money.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...