Completely new to producing.

- ask away
ferd
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Completely new to producing.

Post by ferd »

Hello!

This week i started making my own sounds in my beloved Ableton.
Now when I first started i limited myself to simply drawing beats and sounds with the instruments standard in ableton.
The 1st problem i had was that i cant really find the sounds i'm looking for, sequencing them and making them is not such a big problem yet.

Whilst browsing this part of the board i noticed i hardly understand most of what you guys are saying here.
There isn't much in the Ableton manual that can help me nor have i found any helpfull "tutorials" on producing.

Now a few questions

Where can i get information on all the effects and instruments standard in Ableton? (F.e, HAL 9000 is most used for x and x?)

Information about working methods. (I draw both a bassline and synth in the same MIDI channel and then use other channels for extra layers and I dont think that's how you all work..)

Are there any methods to make sure the sound is of a reasonable quality.

If I asked dumb or irrelevant questions, or if I overlooked something on this board, i'm sorry! But your help is welcome :)
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Completely new to producing.

Post by skept »

ferd wrote:There isn't much in the Ableton manual that can help me nor have i found any helpfull "tutorials" on producing.
yes there is. the tutorials are phenomenal. did you complete them? did you read the manual in it's entirety?
ferd wrote:Where can i get information on all the effects and instruments standard in Ableton? (F.e, HAL 9000 is most used for x and x?)
the tutorials and manual! also the info section of ableton in the lower left hand corner tells all. and there is a nice book out called ableton power. version 6 is due out 2007-01-01 last i heard.

you just need to RTFM and play with it for hours a day.
credit_agro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Completely new to producing.

Post by credit_agro »

skept wrote:
ferd wrote:There isn't much in the Ableton manual that can help me nor have i found any helpfull "tutorials" on producing.
yes there is. the tutorials are phenomenal. did you complete them? did you read the manual in it's entirety?
ferd wrote:Where can i get information on all the effects and instruments standard in Ableton? (F.e, HAL 9000 is most used for x and x?)
the tutorials and manual! also the info section of ableton in the lower left hand corner tells all. and there is a nice book out called ableton power. version 6 is due out 2007-01-01 last i heard.

you just need to RTFM and play with it for hours a day.
I second that. The tutorials included wth Ableton itself are great for learning to use various functions. When I started first I found the standard synthesizer one (can't remember the name of it in ableton now) was very inspirational.

If you've just started producing Ableton is a good easy to use, beginner friendly application. Theres also plenty of help available on the net and tutorials on many sites. Do the included tuts first though.

Best!
digitalbunny
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by digitalbunny »

If you're still having trouble getting your head around ableton live after the tutorials, take a look at this DVD: :arrow:
https://askvideo.com/product_info.php?c ... 186f13e985

Might help you out :wink:
ri
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ri »

You should also be aware that there's no real quick fix guide. Most producers spend years before they can release well produced material, unless they've had access to production courses, or engineers who have shared their knowledge. Just do the tutorials, they will help you a lot, especially with understanding the whole music process. Good luck and enjoy :)
r.i.

let the music talk
ferd
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ferd »

i dont find the manual that helpfull tbh...the explanation of the effects and instruments is really hard to understand...especially if you dont usually speak english.

The explanation of the Beat Repeat effect f.i. took me 15 mins to understand fully...not to mention the Sampler :p

i'll try and figure out as much as i can :)
credit_agro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by credit_agro »

You'll be hard pressed to find tutorials easier than ableton. They really couldn't be any "simpler"!!

It must be the langauge thats causing your problem.
Maybe google translator might be helpful if you can paste the text.

Other than that man, its either find tuts in your own langauge, learn english or give up ableton. :)

edit: From reading your other posts again there your english seems very good. Are you just a lazy sod? :wink:
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

I don't think it's necessary to read what every effect does.
Just try 'em all out. You'll instantly understand what they do.