Richie Hawtin Method?

- ask away
steffensen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Richie Hawtin Method?

Post by steffensen »

This is a question out of curiousity, more than something on need-to-know basis, as im always most interested in how people do things.

Ive read up on Richie Hawtin, and how he produce music today, and he clearly states in several places that he seldom use midi, but mainly audio. Also, from various screenshots, one can see him using a lot of audio clips/loops.

Wich leads to the question, if he aint doin midi, where do he get all the audio from? Rips them of records and mangle them to death in Live or what?

I come from a world of midi, so the whole world of working with mainly audio bits is somewhat new to me (hence the curiousity), even tho ive worked with audio, its never gone deeper than using recordings of m external synths.
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

i think its prolly exaclty that mate, recordings and bounces of stuff from outside his main sequencer. When they say he only uses audio they probably mean he bounces down his vst's as he goes along, i think, lol
steffensen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by steffensen »

From what i understand, he uses recorded "loops" from a lot of different tracks, cuts them down and reassembles the pieces to a beat of his own.
Also, he seems to put some own sounds on top of it all, like a bassline for example.
Sure, i understand that such a method takes a lot of time, energy and creativity to do, but i cant help feeling a bit dissapointed. For me using someone elses sounds, is a bit of cheating, no matter what.
Thats my personal oponion of course. I gotta say he really changes the org sounds to something new however..
jpls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jpls »

are you talking about his mixes or tracks?
steffensen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by steffensen »

"how he produce music today" = his music/tracks, yes.
jpls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jpls »

from your initial description, it sounds like you have not listened
to his own tracks.

i guess an easy answer to your question would be an 808.
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

I know his mixes and some of his tracks, like The Tunnel, are done this way.
But not everything I think. The Plastikman stuff is definitely not done this way.
steffensen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by steffensen »

Yes, the earlier stuff is all midi, ive read.