Jeff Mills

idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

ibbjamin wrote:
532nm wrote:As far as minimal vs. not minimal...Why argue semantics? I never considered him minimal. One could argue that electronic music on the whole is minimal, but let's be realistic. When you hear someone talking about minimal, they really are talking about a sound that is more similar to Richie Hawtin than Jeff Mills. Anyone that argues that is arguing for the sake of arguing.
Gosh.

Could anybody explains us here what exactly is minimal since everyone seems to be sure that Jeff Mills isn't minimal?
Christ
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Christ »

People say Mills have lost it...how?

He plays with the same standard now as in 1996/97.

Still bringing new stuff with Blue Potential and th new Buster Keaton stuff coming out soon.
ibbjamin
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ibbjamin »

Christ wrote:He plays with the same standard now as in 1996/97.
I couldn't disagree more with this statement.
Christ
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Christ »

ibbjamin wrote:
Christ wrote:He plays with the same standard now as in 1996/97.
I couldn't disagree more with this statement.
Back it up!

May, Wynn, Pullen etc use the same technique same as Mills. Their track rooster may have changed.

You may have gotten jaded after all these years, but he still got the same
pull on crowd then as now.
ibbjamin
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ibbjamin »

ibbjamin wrote:I left one of his recent sets in Chicago halfway through due to bordem. I took a friend getting into Techno to the show and was embarrassed by my recommendation.
Track selection - sub par - he played really housey sounding tracks mixed with outdated early detroit techno. Mixing - nothing noteworthy; he did not make any mistakes, but he let bad tracks play for 4+ minutes at a time, and Mills is more known for seamlessly blending 60+ tracks in an hour. He was not into it at all. I was getting the vibe he was there for a paycheck and that techno was no longer his passion.

Now I understand that anyone can have a bad night, but I have heard and read of others with a similar stance on the recent Mills. Not only that, but a good dj on a bad night will still play good tracks.

Don't get me wrong, he was one of the best that has ever lived and will go down in the history books as being one of the best, but he has lost his passion.
milc
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by milc »

too bad this thread went off topic

we we're supposed to be talking about how great Jeff Mills really is and how cute he would looks in white jeans

but no...we have to talk about M_nus' evil plan for world domination
yes, as thread starter, i find it too bad also.
but before, Jeff was "the man" and now it seems that m-nus and hawtin is the replace. so i think it's natural to do some comparisons.

even though jeff is now "fallen off", i prefer to have my "god father" being Jeff, than a weird guy who thinks that mp3 is a transition. that's all.

P.S. anyway i play mp3s too on my Conectiv, haha.
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Martian Telecom »

From what i've heard he tore the west coast apart a couple weeks ago. Word on the street is that he still has some fire in his belly.

The fact that Mills isn't considered minimal is of a condemnation of the current state of the genre than it is of Mills.

I'll take my old DBX, Mills, and Hood records over most of the cookie cutter abelton crap that passes for techno around here.
Last edited by Martian Telecom on Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Martian Telecom wrote:
I'll take my old DBX, Mills, and Hood records over most of the cookie cutter abelton crap that passes for techno around here.
AMEN to that :!: