Jeff Mills

Fonque
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Fonque »

sad, but they're true. :lol:
"What is underground? Dig a fucking hole and stick your head in it."

http://www.myspace.com/mrfonk

"yeah, vinyl is real! all these cd's and downloads are bullshit, they aint real."
Leighton Ashcroft
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

Guys, forget it, mnml was invented by Ritchie Hawtin on that decks and sht and 909 or wtf in 1999. Mills just ripped it off from him in, let's give an example, 1995. (http://www.discogs.com/release/9459)

We all know it.

God is white and so is Ritchie (yeah that's a really sick joke)
milc
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by milc »

this also means Jeff is God.
becuase he just made out a time machine in his garage in 95',
go up all the way to 99' and record all that sh!t to copy it.

what a genious....

actually Jeff doesn't mix at all. under his decks, there's hidden ipods playin' richie's future sets that he stolen thanks to his time machine.

what a genious...
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

milc wrote:this also means Jeff is God.
becuase he just made out a time machine in his garage in 95',
go up all the way to 99' and record all that sht to copy it.

what a genious....

actually Jeff doesn't mix at all. under his decks, there's hidden ipods playin' richie's future sets that he stolen thanks to his time machine.

what a genious...
;-)
ferd
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ferd »

too bad this thread went off topic

we we're supposed to be talking about how great Jeff Mills really is and how cute he would looks in white jeans

but no...we have to talk about M_nus' evil plan for world domination
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

we could talk about how mills fell off, gave up on detroit, and doesnt really care about decent mixing anymore.

but really, mills was the epitome of detroit techno...a man, some boxes, and a vision. he really did carve a deep techno groove, but he certianly did not make minimal. straight up hard detroit techno, i'd say.
xpansul
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by xpansul »

I remember when me and my friends started playing Mills stuff (back in 93 or so) that we used to call it minimal techno. Maybe it was because the main techno stream in Spain at that time was trancey and, let's say, baroque.

I think terms are always subject to the understanding of the people that uses them and, because there's not such a thing (at least that I am aware of) like a "minimal techno manifest" you can call minimal to whatever you like (just take a look at decks.de) but for me, Jeff Mills has written some of the most influential minima(istic) tracks. Maybe is not like Pan Sonic or Alva Noto, but I don't think that most of the stuff we call minimal today is like that either.

Anyway, lately I tend to avoid the "M" word, and I rather say techno, period. In the end, minimal should be nothing more than an adjective (for me, of course)
ibbjamin
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ibbjamin »

532nm wrote:we could talk about how mills fell off, gave up on detroit, and doesnt really care about decent mixing anymore.

but really, mills was the epitome of detroit techno...a man, some boxes, and a vision. he really did carve a deep techno groove, but he certianly did not make minimal. straight up hard detroit techno, i'd say.
You stole the words right out of my mouth. Jeff Mills used to be god maybe, but he has changed. Fallen off is a great phrase; I left one of his recent sets in Chicago halfway through due to bordem. I took a friend getting into Techno to the show and was embarrassed by my recommendation.

As far as minimal vs. not minimal...Why argue semantics? I never considered him minimal. One could argue that electronic music on the whole is minimal, but let's be realistic. When you hear someone talking about minimal, they really are talking about a sound that is more similar to Richie Hawtin than Jeff Mills. Anyone that argues that is arguing for the sake of arguing.